Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hiding EZPass behind bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t want to hang my NYS Thruway EZPass anywhere in the glass so I tried to hide it in a couple spots. First mounted it to the radiator support, but it would not scan at one of the toll stations. So during tire rotation time I pulled back the drivers side wheel liner, and zip tied the pass to the headlight bracket. This way the transponder is just behind the bumper skin, and ends up sitting fairly high. No issues so far.

C5E25275-C2AD-4ADD-BC52-6CE976359BAC.jpeg

I didn’t want to hang my NYS Thruway EZPass anywhere in the glass so I tried to hide it in a couple spots. First mounted it to the radiator support, but it would not scan at one of the toll stations. So during tire rotation time I pulled back the drivers side wheel liner, and zip tied the pass to the headlight bracket. This way the transponder is just behind the bumper skin, and ends up sitting fairly high. No issues so far.

View attachment 394280

Had a question, why not to install the ezpass to windshield glass as we do for all other vehicles? Does it crack the glass or doesn't get recognized??

If you come to Rhode Island, you will get charged if it doesn't scan and they see that you are the mounting is improper. http://www.ritba.org/sites/all/themes/ritba/pdf/PressRelease/Press Release Unmounted Transponders.pdf

It’s pretty hard to miss in the all plastic console which is a straight shot through the windshield. I’ve had no misses in NH or MA for 6 months.

Someone mentioned the glovebox works too. Makes sense, everything is plastic.

You typically have to go out if your way to get one to NOT read. They are shipped in foil bags for a reason.

Reactions: Sherlo
It'll work fine on the glass, we just don't like having it visible.
Because our model 3 isn’t like “all other vehicles” now is it?

It looks dorky inside and out having a white lump glued to your windshield.

It'll work fine on the glass, we just don't like having it visible.

Ok.. good to know that installing it on the windshield glass isn't going to make any issues to the front facing cameras or any of the millions of sensors in the car, thanks.

My mind is blown right now. This even works on the high speed lanes with the overhead sensors??

Yup.

Why wouldn’t it work 3 feet back from the windshield, all glass roof, glass side windows, behind a piece of plastic?

To the scanner you look like your riding in a convertible with a roll bar. The only thing that will block it is metal, all around it.

BTW I first mounted it on the furthest point forward in the REAR window. Which is practically the center of the roof.

Nobody can see it there. Unless you’re in the back seat. But I installed front and rear sunshades and moved it to center console.

Yup.

Why wouldn’t it work 3 feet back from the windshield, all glass roof, glass side windows, behind a piece of plastic?

To the scanner you look like your riding in a convertible with a roll bar. The only thing that will block it is metal, all around it.

BTW I first mounted it on the furthest point forward in the REAR window. Which is practically the center of the roof.

Nobody can see it there. Unless you’re in the back seat. But I installed front and rear sunshades and moved it to center console.

I just always thought it had to be unobstructed. Going to keep my next one in the arm rest!

Mine works fine in the cubby even with the drawer closed so I normally keep it in the foil baggy thing it came in unless I'm planning on using it.. maybe lack of big engine up front w/associated electronics? The big display screen doesn't seem to have any negative effects on range either..

Interesting, I'll have to try it in the arm rest. Mine is plasti-dipped and currently stuck on the windshield with a suction cup mount. It's barely noticeable from the outside.