Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hiding EZPass behind bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: mswlogo
Not sure why they even need a pass anymore. When your battery dies, like mine did after 10 years, the camera takes a picture of your plate, and they match it to your account and you still get billed in your EZpass acct.

In Illinois we use I-Pass, it's similar to EZPazz. I just put mine in the glove box, I've had no issue so far.

Works for me as well with MA E-ZPass. Works with the newer camera based tolls but also with the older ones the require the transponder to register before the gate opens or the light turns green. Only once it didn't work in a toll both on I-90 in NY, but it didn't even after it took it out and held where it is supposed to be mounted. The toll both attendant took the transponder, scanned it manually and opened the gate.

Not sure why they even need a pass anymore. When your battery dies, like mine did after 10 years, the camera takes a picture of your plate, and they match it to your account and you still get billed in your EZpass acct.

Here in NC they have this in the terms of the system-

NC Quickpass said:
If your TRANSPONDER is not read at the toll zone, your license plate will be photographed to identify your ACCOUNT.

Toll charges will be posted to your ACCOUNT via license plate identification.

If more than 15% of your tolls are posted via license plate identification on a monthly basis, you will be notified in writing by mail or e-mail that your TRANSPONDER is potentially defective and request that you bring it to the CSC for inspection. Any ACCOUNT in excess of 15% of postings via license plate identification per month will be charged a fee of five dollars ($5.00) for each month this occurs.

As I said earlier though I keep my transponder in the glovebox and it works fine 90%+ of the time so no issue.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
This is so much easier. No, it doesn’t need to be up to work perfect.

45361492955_527bfb5137_h_d.jpg

Is this directly under the arm rest in the model 3? I think my compartment looks completely different there.

View attachment 477091 I’ve driven through states up and down the East Coast with my EZPass right behind the screen with no problems. It’s hidden from interior view and mostly hidden from external view. The transponder is always detected.

I've seen a Model 3 at a couple of local EV events with an EZ Pass in a similar location, only it's mounted higher up, on the back of the screen. The owner told me it works fine that way. Your location makes it a little less eye-catching from outside the car than the one I've seen, but it's otherwise the same concept. One drawback for either variant has occurred to me, which is that this location makes the EZ Pass number extremely visible from outside the car. I haven't heard of anybody trying to hack into an EZ Pass account, but I could see it happening -- say, to request additional transponders to be added to your account, thus freeloading off of you. An easy fix, which might also help the aesthetics of it, would be to cover the transponder in a black plastic or cardboard box. You could cut up something like the black tray that some frozen meals use so that it fits closely around the transponder and then tape it in place around the transponder. Wrapping the transponder in black cardboard from a crafts store should work as well.

I've seen a Model 3 at a couple of local EV events with an EZ Pass in a similar location, only it's mounted higher up, on the back of the screen. The owner told me it works fine that way. Your location makes it a little less eye-catching from outside the car than the one I've seen, but it's otherwise the same concept. One drawback for either variant has occurred to me, which is that this location makes the EZ Pass number extremely visible from outside the car. I haven't heard of anybody trying to hack into an EZ Pass account, but I could see it happening -- say, to request additional transponders to be added to your account, thus freeloading off of you. An easy fix, which might also help the aesthetics of it, would be to cover the transponder in a black plastic or cardboard box. You could cut up something like the black tray that some frozen meals use so that it fits closely around the transponder and then tape it in place around the transponder. Wrapping the transponder in black cardboard from a crafts store should work as well.
Or, you could put a piece of white electrical tape over the number.

Reactions: Sherlo
Is this directly under the arm rest in the model 3? I think my compartment looks completely different there.

Yes just open lid and there was a recessed pocket. But anywhere on that lid should work. But by the sounds of it you probably could just toss it in the cubby and it will work fine too. I just wanted it tidy and it consistently faced upward like on the windshield.