Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High ambient temperature 90 degrees and Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

Thanks to all in advance. How do 90 degree temps affect Model 3 range? I’ve got the AC running at about 6 or 7 at low, and my wh per mile is around 350. Thoughts greatly appreciated.

• Disagree
Reactions: jmaddr
Thanks to all in advance. How do 90 degree temps affect Model 3 range? I’ve got the AC running at about 6 or 7 at low, and my wh per mile is around 350. Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Tire and wheel selection and tire pressure have far more impact to range than running the A/C in hot weather. Having pointed that out, some savings are possible by running the A/C on recirculate in hot weather. Be aware that some fresh air is constantly introduced to the cabin even with recirculate activated.

The Model 3 is my favorite car ever in hot weather due to the powerful A/C, the continuous dash venting and the cabin pre-cool feature. I noticed the other day that when the A/C is on there is a blast of very cold air coming out underneath the driver and passenger seats. Surprisingly, the rear seat cabin ventilation wasn't even turned on.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Just cabin cooling running hard, guessing the drive was short and still trying to cool further, longer drive the AC use should fall some.
Thanks man. I appreciate your thoughts. I’m guessing that on a longer drive the cabin temperature would stabilize and wh per mile would go down.

Yeah. Extreme in the other way but my S will do maybe 270wh/m at 70degrees but when sub-zero my 7 mile commute can register over 800 and settle into the low 700s. Go on a several hour drive though and maybe it is only 10-15% high not triple.
If travelling or supercharging and need as much range as possible I preheat/cool aggressively while connected to a power source to get the heavy HVAC use out of the way.

• Informative
Thanks man. I appreciate your thoughts. I’m guessing that on a longer drive the cabin temperature would stabilize and wh per mile would go down.

350 Wh/mi is nothing ... check out my nearly 1500 Wh/km trip ;)
Trip meter counts energy used while stopped (in Drive, but not in Park) - with test results

That’s over 2400 Wh/mi! :D

(This was a VERY short test trip)

So yes, consumption effects from HVAC will average down after an initial high usage. If you pre-cool the cabin or cool it down while still in park before you depart, then your trip meter will only show the ongoing HVAC usage to keep things stable at your set temp, which is lower than the usage in the first few minutes of intense cooling of a hot cabin. If you leave it on auto with a comfortable set temp you should be fine and not affect consumption greatly. If you leave it on “LO” all the time the AC may never rest and use a bit more power. I found my consumption dropped a bit as spring temps warmed up to summer. The little extra AC usage was actually beaten by the savings of the car operating at more ideal warmer temperatures.

If you have Cabin Overheat Protection on, it keeps it below 40C/105F and I’ve found it only takes a few minutes to cool the cabin down before a trip from that point if I remember to pre-cool from the app to a comfortable 20C/68F or so.

• Informative
Reactions: Zoomit and hcdavis3
350 Wh/mi is nothing ... check out my nearly 1500 Wh/km trip ;)
Trip meter counts energy used while stopped (in Drive, but not in Park) - with test results

That’s over 2400 Wh/mi! :D

(This was a VERY short test trip)

So yes, consumption effects from HVAC will average down after an initial high usage. If you pre-cool the cabin or cool it down while still in park before you depart, then your trip meter will only show the ongoing HVAC usage to keep things stable at your set temp, which is lower than the usage in the first few minutes of intense cooling of a hot cabin. If you leave it on auto with a comfortable set temp you should be fine and not affect consumption greatly. If you leave it on “LO” all the time the AC may never rest and use a bit more power. I found my consumption dropped a bit as spring temps warmed up to summer. The little extra AC usage was actually beaten by the savings of the car operating at more ideal warmer temperatures.

If you have Cabin Overheat Protection on, it keeps it below 40C/105F and I’ve found it only takes a few minutes to cool the cabin down before a trip from that point if I remember to pre-cool from the app to a comfortable 20C/68F or so.
Thanks Darth. I love “That’s Nothing “. For me all this isn’t a huge worry because I don’t drive much or do many long trips. Just my first experience driving in 90 degree temperatures. The AC in my 3 is really good. No COP on. Pre cooling with charger connected is a great idea.

The AC in my 3 is really good. No COP on. Pre cooling with charger connected is a great idea.

Even when not plugged-in, I've found I can effectively pre-cool the cabin before I return to a car soaking in the sun using only 1 mile or less of battery power. It only takes about 2 minutes to be effective and the A/C will be blowing cold air as soon as you enter.

Folks, the Tesla, like all evs, have electric ACs. This means cooling much faster than ice, because you don't have to wait for speed for the compressor to kick in, same for heating. So while you may be used to staying hot in an ice, no longer the case

An additional benefit is the A/C is in the front of the car (behind the frunk) which stays cool since there is no engine, exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, etc. cooking the engine bay. This means the A/C can work much quicker and more efficiently. And without the hot firewall and exhaust pipe running below the cabin, it stays much cooler.

You can't beat a quality EV like a Tesla in the summer heat. Cool, clean and quiet. Gotta love it!

One of my favourite features is turning AC on remotely whether plugged in or not it’s totally worth it. Pretty much any EV can do it as long as they have an app. I’d burn a few electrons for 5-10 minutes before you get in your car and arrive to a nice cool car... no ICE car I’ve seen can do that ... and if it could, that would be horrible running the engine idle and polluting for 10 minutes unattended just so the AC can run. And if you were in your garage you’d arrive to a carbon monoxide death trap.

I'm in sunny and hot Florida with our temps currently in the high 90's though the car reading has show 100+ for outside temp. I commute about 30 miles to work midday and even with the AC kicking to keep things cool I rarely hit 250wh and usually range somewhere between 224-234 depending on how I'm driving that day.