Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High beams always on…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve notice recently that every Tesla I see has there high beams on. Not sure if there is a system problem or if people are just leaving them on all the time? I drive for a living and find it very dangerous on other peoples vision of the road. Not sure Tesla owners know this or care? Well this is my attempt to start a discussion and find out why? Thank you for reading and hope for safer roads.

• Disagree
Reactions: teko and lowtek
While it may be you are seeing Teslas with high beams on, I notice all new cars are about the same, not just Teslas. They are bright! Perhaps older cars have reduced brightness over time or newer cars just have brighter headlights. Haven't noticed Teslas much different than others (and in the Bay area, we are Tesla central).

Tesla cars have an auto high-beam feature like a lot of cars today. I never use it myself. They are supposed to turn off when seeing an oncoming car's headlights.

I don't believe it's Tesla issue. I have had people honking their horns at me in the fast few years when I had the normal lights on with my Alfa Romeo and Jeep Rubicon, and Audi Q8. It's the new headlights for pretty much all new vehicles.

Tesla cars have an auto high-beam feature like a lot of cars today. I never use it myself. They are supposed to turn off when seeing an oncoming car's headlights.
I use this always and haven’t seen any issues so far. The switch over does work flawlessly. What I have noticed is these new matrix LED headlights (on new cars) does have quite bright lights even on low beam settings but the blinding does fade if the car gets closer.

While it may be you are seeing Teslas with high beams on, I notice all new cars are about the same, not just Teslas. They are bright! Perhaps older cars have reduced brightness over time or newer cars just have brighter headlights. Haven't noticed Teslas much different than others (and in the Bay area, we are Tesla central).

It's funny, I got my 100d in Nov. and coming home it's dark and noticed they'd come on then go off with oncoming traffic, but recently it's stopped doing that even with the setting on. Not sure if the Xmas update did anything, but it no longer seems to happen.

Reactions: tldickerson
Thank you DerbyDave. It’s nice when someone has the correct understanding and doesn’t want to harm other people. I drive a new car and do notice my head lights are much brighter than cars I’ve had in the past. And from what I’m reading others think so also. So why have auto high beams on they do not work properly? Thank you hope to see change

Orange County area really bad with high beams always on.

It’s weird that you see this as a user wrong input. To be clear, on Model S the headlight switch is normally in settings Auto (functioning automatically) and user has no possibility to leave the high beams on as the stalk has toggle function (user turns it on Auto or off/low beam). At least it is with the model that I have. If I want to turn the high beams on manually then they will not be set to be constantly ON (pull towards you). That stalk is turning them off as soon user release it. I haven’t looked if there is possibility to set it differently in the Lights menu.
We have winter here from the end of November until early March so the auto switching has worked flawlessly. Only problem have been in poor visibility, in cases when the Autosteer have had troubles to keep the car within the lines. This is in really low visibility.

New Tesla's with the 1/2 wheel have no stalks, and can't be put in manual mode.
For 2021+ LR/Plaid, use Controls -> Lights -> Auto High beam, to go manual. Use the button on the steering wheel to switch high beams on/off or flash (a tap). You can also change settings when tapping the high-beam control where the scroll wheel allows changing the settings for a few seconds similar to how the wiper works.

True, but you must go through menus to manually disable auto headlights. With the stalk you can leave aut headlights enabled but force it to stay in low beam using the stalk lever. This functionality was lost with the 1/2 steering wheel.

I started this conversation so people would be aware that there high beams are on. When driving around I always have teslas coming toward me with high beams on. This is not putting blame on driver or car malfunction. Also I drive a nice car with great bright lights so know the difference and also have an auto high beams setting which is off. Can Tesla teach car owners to use the high beams better? This is a problem and would be nice if you could test out different settings on your Tesla cars and make it the safest for all of us. Thank you for reading.

I started this conversation so people would be aware that there high beams are on. When driving around I always have teslas coming toward me with high beams on. This is not putting blame on driver or car malfunction. Also I drive a nice car with great bright lights so know the difference and also have an auto high beams setting which is off. Can Tesla teach car owners to use the high beams better? This is a problem and would be nice if you could test out different settings on your Tesla cars and make it the safest for all of us. Thank you for reading.
It’s a ludicrous statement that “all Tesla drivers keep their high beams on”, Tesla drivers aren’t any different than anyone else and all new cars have incredibly bright automatic led headlights. Your getting grief because your post accuses all of us, which is utter nonsense.

• Disagree
Reactions: teko
I use this always and haven’t seen any issues so far. The switch over does work flawlessly. What I have noticed is these new matrix LED headlights (on new cars) does have quite bright lights even on low beam settings but the blinding does fade if the car gets closer.
Never works for our Model Y. If it ever comes on, it immediately turns back off. Other drivers think they are being flashed. Given up on it and do not use. My Model S, however, seems to work well.

Trying to get this to change. If you take it personal and get mad about it I’m very sorry not my intention. But do find it very weird that you would try to help this to be safer. Yes cars have very bright lights now so no reason to have auto high beam on. Thank you
Trying to get what to change? Normal headlights on all new cars? By posting a non-affiliated forum? Maybe try trolling the manufacturer instead. Nobody is mad you’re just embarrassing yourself.