Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a non-P AWD car - I am hearing a relatively quiet but definitely noticeable high-pitched whine when I hit the accelerator. Have noticed it over the last 4-5 days and I don't think it was there before that but am not sure. Does anyone else have that or do I need to contact service?

Also has anyone noticed that you have to put more pressure on the wheel when on autopilot since the most recent software update? I'll be asked to put "light pressure" on the wheel when my hands are literally already on the wheel, and I have to apply maybe 5 lbs of pressure to get the blue light to go away. Didn't have to do that before.

Yeap, began noticing the whine recently. Came about the same time as a software update.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
I would download an app for the cell phone that provides a display of frequency vs time in a 3D plot. I think it is called a waterfall display and the program would be a spectrum analyzer. There aught to be some inexpensive ones available. Then use it on your car when you hear the noise and use it when you don't hear the noise. This will very clearly show a peak for that noise which will move across the graph as the frequency changes. The program should be able to give you a measurement of the loudness too. You can try making the same measurement with a loaner or friend's car and the two graphs should be very distinct.

Once you have something to show them maybe they will listen, but I wouldn't expect anything on this.

I no longer tell people to buy Teslas. I warn them about the poor service and lack of customer support. I say give EVs another five years. By then everyone will have a dozen models out and the market will be saturated. Prices will be universally low and things like support and service will dominate the buying decision.

I've heard people with P models can hear the whine under strong acceleration. I only hear a WHINE, subtle and light but noticeable when the car is regenerative braking. I imagine that is normal and to be expected? I've heard it EXTERNALLY from Teslas for years.
Yes. It's a noticeable electronic whir. Really I only hear it when spooling up or down at low speeds because wind noise drowns it out quickly. I love it, reminds me that I'm driving the future.

Oh yeah, the fact that software "updates" made the car whine, is why I say these aren't smart cars, but cell phones with wheels.
The whine seems to have increased as power/range was optimized. It's not a bug.

Yes. It's a noticeable electronic whir. Really I only hear it when spooling up or down at low speeds because wind noise drowns it out quickly. I love it, reminds me that I'm driving the future.

The whine seems to have increased as power/range was optimized. It's not a bug.

Sorry, what makes it not a bug? If it were mentioned in the release notes you could say it is a "feature". Until then it's a bug.