Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Usage Site - charging limited to 80% SOC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I saw this message over the weekend at Belleville and at Kemptville. When I was at Kemptville there were only 3 out of 8 stalls in use this afternoon at around 12:30. Why would this message and restrictive be active when the site is less than 50% full?

Being a cynic I wonder if I am seeing this because I have free Supercharging and Tesla isn't making any revenue from me at an SC. Is that possible?

Being a cynic I wonder if I am seeing this because I have free Supercharging and Tesla isn't making any revenue from me at an SC. Is that possible?
No, that is not the reason.

It is a busy site, but it doesn't mean it is busy at the moment. If you want to charge to more than 80%, then just change the setpoint back up. Nothing prevents you from doing that.

I saw this message over the weekend at Belleville and at Kemptville. When I was at Kemptville there were only 3 out of 8 stalls in use this afternoon at around 12:30. Why would this message and restrictive be active when the site is less than 50% full?

It’s not because you have free supercharging. Tesla will designate a site as “high usage” based on its overall usage, not its current/live usage.

No, that is not the reason.

It is a busy site, but it doesn't mean it is busy at the moment. If you want to charge to more than 80%, then just change the setpoint back up. Nothing prevents you from doing that.
Ok, I didn't know that about resetting the setpoint. I thought that they locked it at a maximum of 80% for such sites.

How do they even know that Kemptville is a busy site as it has only been active for about 10 days? They don't have much usage data yet. And if it is that busy so quickly then they probably should have put in more than 8 SCs.

Ok, I didn't know that about resetting the setpoint. I thought that they locked it at a maximum of 80% for such sites.

How do they even know that Kemptville is a busy site as it has only been active for about 10 days? They don't have much usage data yet. And if it is that busy so quickly then they probably should have put in more than 8 SCs.
At this point, it's an assumption. That said, in general the SCs are getting busier so it's probably going to be limited across most locations. As long as you know that you can override it, you should be good to go.

A part of it probably has to do with the extra time it takes going from 80 to 90% charge. Tesla has set this up in order to throughput as many cars as possible.