Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought they took off the first week of 2018? Maybe I'm wrong.

Since VINS are ahead of # of deliveries, even if they have made 3k so far in 2018, we aren't seeing the last of those VINS assigned to people, since some are getting VINS from 2k-4k that never went out, for whatever reason.

So if they just these last 3 days made VINS 5500-6000, those aren't going to people yet, they are sitting in a parking lot somewhere, for at least a few more days. I'd expect something in that range to be assigned this week.

I think we saw somebody assigned a 53xx VIN, so I think that's about right.

And I think we've all agreed that when somebody gets their VIN, most likely it's not in the middle of production like you see with Model S/X, but already made, and then matched to the order specs.

The longest part of somebody getting their car after ordering a 3 is all the paperwork, and nothing to do with the car except for washing, charging, a little more QC, etc...

So long story short (too late), i think the latest VIN assigned is hundreds behind what's actually been produced.

I don't mind hundreds behind.....but thousands?

VIN # 3000 or so was reported back in November right?......Its the latter part of January and they are still handing out 3K's? Oh well....

Either Tesla is having HUGE delivery problems or they were not producing 1000 car a week. I think it's pretty clear from Tesla's statements (misleading or not) that they were producing less than 1000 a week in the first week of January. They could be producing that now.

This is the week to see proof. I believe people are getting 4 week delivery promises but I have not looked anything up to be sure. If any of the rumors are true then towards the end of this week we should start seeing 1000 cars delivered a week IF (the big if) Tesla exited Dec producing 1000 cars a week. Don't count your chickens before they hatch :)

I do think we are close. Maybe towards the end of next week we will see strong delivery numbers.

We can probably infer something from the VIN assignments we have seen. The Model 3 Invites spreadsheet shows VINs up to around 4700 have been assigned. I've seen a few anecdotal reports of VINs in the 53xx range as well. Understanding that we don't have perfect data, if there were some high VINs assigned (or delivered) you'd expect at least a few percent of those assignments to be reported here or in the spreadsheet. But those appear to be the top VINs we've heard about.

This pretty much puts a maximum number of the number of cars produced so far (or will be produced shortly) at around 5300. If you count the 1772 delivered + 860 in transit at the end of the year (2632 total), then that puts an upper limit of around 2668 made in the first 3 weeks of January (plus or minus). And that is a best case as it assumes that the VIN 5300 that was assigned is already built and just awaiting shipment/detailing. Yeah, we could be missing a reports of hundreds of VINs above 5300 being assigned, but the likelihood of that seems low. And if the VINs are being randomized so there really are even less than 5300 cars in the queue to date, well that only lowers the estimate of how many cars built so far in the current year.

Maybe my logic is faulty, but that's what it looks like to me. Does this make sense?

I was trying to disprove this, with my theory that they might take Sundays off, and I was wrong. The factory worker lot by the freeway side is a little over a quarter full of worker cars. They tend to park close to the factory bunching up by entryways, leaving many areas much more empty. There are two main bunches on either end of the building, with one by the weird lobby type area close to the SuperCharger, and the other out past the other side of the SuperCharger and store.

Instead of driving around, head to the nearest bar at shift change and buy some beers chat and with a few of the line workers, I'm sure 3 beers is greater than an NDA. Imagine what you can hear direct from a line worker. VINs, line speed. Steady speed or pulses on the line. Parts hold ups. AWD, turnover, etc.

Instead of driving around, head to the nearest bar at shift change and buy some beers chat and with a few of the line workers, I'm sure 3 beers is greater than an NDA. Imagine what you can hear direct from a line worker. VINs, line speed. Steady speed or pulses on the line. Parts hold ups. AWD, turnover, etc.
FWIW: a friend of mine knows someone involved with production of something to do with the steering columns. This person stated that "They are still producing these items by hand in MI (versus via planned automation in Mexico) at a rate of 200 units a week."
YMMV

Im a current owner in NJ and ordered on April 26th. Got my invite tonight. I must have ordered a car previously built because the Vin number, 38xx, popped up immediately.

When you say "ordered" you mean "reserved", right?
And this seems to confirm that theory that existing Tesla owners have priority over non-owner line-waiters. Some were speculating that once the "line-waiter owners" got invited, it would then go to "line-waiter non-owners", but is sounds more like they are going through all owners (even ones that reserved more recently) before they go back to line-waiters with no previous Tesla connection.

When you say "ordered" you mean "reserved", right?
And this seems to confirm that theory that existing Tesla owners have priority over non-owner line-waiters. Some were speculating that once the "line-waiter owners" got invited, it would then go to "line-waiter non-owners", but is sounds more like they are going through all owners (even ones that reserved more recently) before they go back to line-waiters with no previous Tesla connection.

I always thought it was clear all owners would get priority over non-owners. For anyone who thought otherwise, just wishful thinking.