Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway 101 (CA) Superchargers are now Open!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great news! I'll definitely be using these. And there's one in Gilroy as well I believe.

I'd love to eventually see one in Monterey or Cambria... which would allow a trip from LA to Big Sur and back without having to overshoot 68mi to Gilroy to top up. Even an 80-amp HPWC in Monterey/Cambria would be plenty. (From Atascadero up the 1 to Big Sur and back is about 204mi, which is doable but pushing it, unless you can trickle charge on 110v in Big Sur.)

- - - Updated - - -

Just need Oxnard to open up to be able to complete the drive to/from the LA metro area. Anyone have any update on Oxnard SC?

I have a 70-amp HPC + Model S adapter at my home in Carpinteria, happy to open it up to anyone who needs it.

Here's a screencap of the email for anyone who might be interested...

Screen Shot 2013-07-03 at 5.31.22 PM.png

Just need Oxnard to open up to be able to complete the drive to/from the LA metro area. Anyone have any update on Oxnard SC?

Buellton to LA is 138 miles according to Google Maps, so you can make that in one charge easily--don't need Oxnard!

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'll take the more scenic 101 route up to TesLIVE next week.

Even more scenic I'm going up Highway 1 through Big Sur!

- - - Updated - - -

Great news! I'll definitely be using these. And there's one in Gilroy as well I believe.

I'd love to eventually see one in Monterey or Cambria... which would allow a trip from LA to Big Sur and back without having to overshoot 68mi to Gilroy to top up. Even an 80-amp HPWC in Monterey/Cambria would be plenty. (From Atascadero up the 1 to Big Sur and back is about 204mi, which is doable but pushing it, unless you can trickle charge on 110v in Big Sur.)

- - - Updated - - -

But if you stay overnight in Monterey you can charge overnight at a regular charger while you are at your hotel, then make it back down the next day.

So for those of us who own 60 kWh MSs, I would love to hear a real-world report on going from the Gilroy supercharger to the Atascadero supercharger. I plugged it in at typical highway speeds and got about 8%-10% battery remaining from a range charge at the elevation trip planner website. Looking at the topography it is pretty much an uphill climb going South from Gilroy to Atascadero. Of course one could drive 50 mph for more of a cushion but I'm talking real-world "I'd rather not have to think about my speed so much on the highway" driving and would love to hear how doable that stretch really is in a 60. With an 85 clearly no problem. It would seem that with a 60 it might be cutting it close perhaps.

Cheers

So for those of us who own 60 kWh MSs, I would love to hear a real-world report on going from the Gilroy supercharger to the Atascadero supercharger.

I have a 60 and drove from Gilroy to San Luis Obispo (a short distance past Atascadero) with a range charge at the Gilroy Supercharger. I had 207 rated miles showing for a 160 mile drive.

I don't remember how much range I had left, but I did have enough of a buffer that I didn't have range anxiety.

thanks for that. Usually I have found the elevation trip planner to be pretty accurate so it's nice to hear that this will be quite doable despite the doom and gloom prediction.

The difference in elevation is only 207 meters (679 feet). Doing the math I came up with about 1,3kWh needed to climb 207m with a 2300kg heavy Model S (207*2300*9,8/3.600.000). That is only 1,6% of the battery or 3,3 rated miles.

The difference in elevation is only 207 meters (679 feet). Doing the math I came up with about 1,3kWh needed to climb 207m with a 2300kg heavy Model S (207*2300*9,8/3.600.000). That is only 1,6% of the battery or 3,3 rated miles.

I have a 60 and also made it from Gilroy to SLO with a full charge and doing about 70. I had no range anxiety from memory. The elevation change on this route is really immaterial once you are clear of Santa Marguerita hill north of SLO.

Actually, the reverse route from Atascadero to Gilroy is probably going to require more charge management en route due to wind. Over Memorial Day weekend, we left Atascadero in the early evening with about 175 rated miles. I thought that would be plenty when we left, but with the strong headwinds coming through the Salinas valley, I had to really throttle back to give me any kind of a cushion to make it to Gilroy. With the strong headwind through the entire valley, it was the equivalent of driving 80 mph. I dropped the speed down to 65 in the 70 mph zone north of Paso and then down to 62 north of King City just to avoid having to stop in Salinas. By the time I cleared the hills in Prunedale, I had plenty of range to increase the speed into Gilroy. But point is that you really need to factor the wind into the westbound/northbound direction if you have anything less than a full charge leaving Atascadero.