Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway range @ 80 mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a Tesla P3D+ (Performance Upgrade Package - 20 inch tires), I was able to achieve around 260 Wh/Mile consistently at 75 MPH with the A/C set at 70 on a cool night so the A/C was not working that hard. This was achieved by using AutoPilot and TACC for 95% of the driving on the interstate. Outside temp was about 65 F.

If I want to maximize my range I draft behind vans or trucks. If I pick one going above the speed limit I can go fast and watch the % remaining on the nav’s destination increase about 5% over two hours or more.

Unless you plan on not eating or bring food with you in the car it works well to go ahead and plan on one 50 minute range charge on the way while stoping to sit down for a meal.

Family road trips for me involve using the in car nav route planner exclusively. Restroom stops are every couple hours, everyone enjoys stretching so charging for 20 minutes twice on a 400 mile trip would be fine, and easy to drive 80 mph the whole time on the freeway.

Every time we leave the freeway it slows our average mph. If it takes 10 minutes from the off ramp to plug in, then 10 min to get back on the road, the 20 minutes lost is slowing the trip down overall. Definitely think before driving out of the way on extra stops that really aren’t needed.

My car is so enjoyable to drive that I don’t care about now stopping to rest the amount of time I should have been all along. We’ve gotten used to driving long hours and not stopping to rest as often as we should.

Oh great... and now I bet the Performance and LR 3s (all rated at 310miles LOL) will then probably see like 180 or less on a 80%SOC... Or will it be worse (asking all the cold weather Tesla owners with experience)
Cold weather experiences can vary greatly, as there are more elements to consider like snow/ice/water on the roads and of course th cabin/battery heating that can negatively impact your range.

The biggest advice I can give for efficiency in the cold is that you’ll want to leave the car plugged in and pre-condition the cabin prior to departure. The car will use the grid to heat up the cabin and battery, which will save you at least a few percentage points of range.

It’s certainly possible that you could lose 20% of your range when the temp is below freezing, and maybe more depending on the conditions, but I wouldn’t stress too much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.