Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hissing static noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

shiz

Sep 13, 2015
TX
Hi, have an ‘18 M3P with intermittent scratchy squeal that I noticed usually upon accelerating at higher speeds (70+mph). It has been present ever since I owned the vehicle and once taken in to the service dept where they weren’t able to replicate it. It would come on for a good 30sec-1min and intermittently disappear and return.

More recently, it has annoyed me more and I usually am able to drown out the sound with the loud music. It is a static-y sound that I thought was coming from the rear view mirror (apparently there is a microphone there), but I also found a thread about a noise coming from the emergency speaker below the glovebox. This noise has no relationship to audio sources, audio volume or bluetooth. I tried the painter’s tape over the speaker grill below the glovebox and the sound didn’t appear muffled to me as some suggested may fix. I will have a passenger test with me again soon as they were adamant initially it was coming from there.
Has anyone else encountered or found a solution to this frustrating problem? could this be the microphone above the center console? Electrical interference? It’s not wind noise....And no firmware appears to have solved it. that’s for sure.thanks in advance.

I think my neighbor had something similar. Turned out the Motor oil ran low somehow without causing any alarms to go off and Tesla Service center in Dublin CA ended up replacing his motor it was a single motor tesla he has model 3 early vin 18k I believe.

Hi, have an ‘18 M3P with intermittent scratchy squeal that I noticed usually upon accelerating at higher speeds (70+mph). It has been present ever since I owned the vehicle and once taken in to the service dept where they weren’t able to replicate it. It would come on for a good 30sec-1min and intermittently disappear and return.

More recently, it has annoyed me more and I usually am able to drown out the sound with the loud music. It is a static-y sound that I thought was coming from the rear view mirror (apparently there is a microphone there), but I also found a thread about a noise coming from the emergency speaker below the glovebox. This noise has no relationship to audio sources, audio volume or bluetooth. I tried the painter’s tape over the speaker grill below the glovebox and the sound didn’t appear muffled to me as some suggested may fix. I will have a passenger test with me again soon as they were adamant initially it was coming from there.
Has anyone else encountered or found a solution to this frustrating problem? could this be the microphone above the center console? Electrical interference? It’s not wind noise....And no firmware appears to have solved it. that’s for sure.thanks in advance.
Did you ever figure out the cause of your problem?