Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a dead deer last night and car is out coolant :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elucidating details required. Also, probably, pictures or it didn't happen.:D

Unlike a Model S and X's battery pack.....EVERYTHING is inside of the Mode 3's battery pack and its ingenious how modular and swappable things are on the inside. The battery pack is just big and heavy. Its not complicated.

That coolant adapter is literally attached to a plate and comes as one piece. Unplug one....and plugin the next and then put everything back together. Its actually more difficult executing the push and pull of the fluid in the pack than changing either plug.

Of course you have to do certain things in a certain order ( like keeping the contactors open ) to wake the pack back up....but it's really not that difficult once you see it done.

If you have a car lift as well as a battery lift....you can change it out and fix it in less than 2 hours....however.....who has those things? lol

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: hoang51 and VT_EE
Unlike a Model S and X's battery pack.....EVERYTHING is inside of the Mode 3's battery pack and its ingenious how modular and swappable things are on the inside. The battery pack is just big and heavy. Its not complicated.

That coolant adapter is literally attached to a plate and comes as one piece. Unplug one....and plugin the next and then put everything back together. Its actually more difficult executing the push and pull of the fluid in the pack than changing either plug.

If you have a car lift as well as a battery lift....you can change it out and fix it in less than 2 hours....however.....who has those things? lol

This post does nothing to explain how you ended up in this situation of viewing an open battery in the service center, what the provenance of that battery was, whether it was one from your car, whether it went back into the car it came from, why it was out of the car, etc., etc. Tell a nice bedtime story for us.

Those are elucidating details. Inquiring minds want to know!

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51
This post does nothing to explain how you ended up in this situation of viewing an open battery in the service center, what the provenance of that battery was, whether it was one from your car, whether it went back into the car it came from, why it was out of the car, etc., etc. Tell a nice bedtime story for us.

Those are elucidating details. Inquiring minds want to know!

My job is about 3 miles from the service center.

I'm a genuine nerd. I hang around the service center during lunch about 3 days a week. Been doing it for about a year. Sometimes we eat lunch together....etc. If they are busy....I bring them lunch and sometimes they flip for me.....

They probably shouldn't do that - and other things as far as I'm concerned.....so I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: hoang51 and VT_EE

Of course you have to do certain things in a certain order ( like keeping the contactors open ) to wake the pack back up....but it's really not that difficult once you see it done.

I have a lift :p. Though it's a scissor lift so it wouldn't work for removing the battery. I didn't say it was super difficult, just that Tesla charges $15k to fix it and that they invoice it as a new battery. Your labor estimate of 2 hours is way too low though to remove, disassemble, repair and reinstall the battery.
Are you sure you're not thinking of them servicing components in the "penthouse" part of the battery. Those are serviceable and in the parts catalog. The rest of the battery is a single part number.

I have a lift :p. Though it's a scissor lift so it wouldn't work for removing the battery. I didn't say it was super difficult, just that Tesla charges $15k to fix it and that they invoice it as a new battery. Your labor estimate of 2 hours is way too low though to remove, disassemble, repair and reinstall the battery.
Are you sure you're not thinking of them servicing components in the "penthouse" part of the battery. Those are serviceable and in the parts catalog. The rest of the battery is a single part number.

You are exactly right. The pack is a single part number. <---- To the public.
"
We" in the public can't order a contactor inside of the battery pack....but Tesla has'em. Indeed they do.

• Informative
Reactions: VT_EE
Are you sure you're not thinking of them servicing components in the "penthouse" part of the battery.

What was implied (though not explicitly stated) was that the pack was out of the car for this "servicing of the pack." And they wouldn't drop the battery to access the penthouse since it is under the rear seat, as I understand it.

So was the pack you saw removed from the vehicle? And it was being serviced and was going to be placed back in the vehicle? What was the problem with it?

"
We" in the public can't order a contactor inside of the battery pack....but Tesla has'em. Indeed they do.
The contactors are in the parts catalog. You are correct that we can't order them though.
I'd like to see some evidence that a service center has ever replaced parts inside the battery.
Maybe this is what you saw them working on (the contractors are part #10 in the penthouse).
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 6.00.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 6.00.38 PM.png

"Crumple" -ability is the design criterion in this area, not armor protection for car systems.
How would designing the plastic coolant fitting so it can be replaced without disassembling the battery affect the crumple ability?
Or, If they had just made it a female fitting flush with the battery that probably would have prevented the $15k bill.
The funny thing is piece number 2 in the first diagram is a front skid plate. It's really best if the battery doesn't crumple.

How would designing the plastic coolant fitting so it can be replaced without disassembling the battery affect the crumple ability?
Or, If they had just made it a female fitting flush with the battery that probably would have prevented the $15k bill.
The funny thing is piece number 2 in the first diagram is a front skid plate. It's really best if the battery doesn't crumple.

again....you won't have to disassemble the battery.

lastly.....everyone should utilize their insurance company. No one should shell out $15k for anything on a Tesla.

Really, Tesla should charge $100k. Why not?

Wow, you are right! There is no downside. I wonder why they don’t do that? We would not have to pay that cost, and we could just buy TSLA stock. Seems like win win.

At most, people would just have to pay a nominal $1000 deductible fee to have the plastic fitting fixed, maybe less if it falls under comprehensive! And a nice fresh battery too. So much winning.

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
We aren't talking about replacing the battery pack. We are talking about repairing a part inside of the battery pack - that requires the removal of the pack.
That's labor labor labor by someone that knows what they are doing - with the correct equipment and training - which makes it easy for them. That port can be replaced without destroying the battery pack via removing the 4 screws and replacing the port.

Its not a poor design. Its a great design.

Tesla's aren't built for the average "gorilla glue" enthusiast to exercise their skills. <------ and I like it that way.

drop it bro... i like tesla too but if a piece of sheet metal could prevent 15k in damages maybe they should look into it.

Reactions: C141medic
My job is about 3 miles from the service center.

I'm a genuine nerd. I hang around the service center during lunch about 3 days a week. Been doing it for about a year. Sometimes we eat lunch together....etc. If they are busy....I bring them lunch and sometimes they flip for me.....

They probably shouldn't do that - and other things as far as I'm concerned.....so I'll leave it at that.
Wtf