Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a dead deer last night and car is out coolant :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What car company armors their wheel well? For the rare occasion of things like hitting a deer or something? If armoring had anything to do with MY safety...I might be willing to start to consider approval.
My Lexus GX has factory installed armor on a few of the components under the car. Of course it's designed for off-roading. :D
Seriously though I haven't seen any other vehicle where it's so easy to do $15k of damage.

Reactions: C141medic
I don't see any damage in the pics, so hopefully it's just a simple leak repair and coolant refill. (and wheel well liner replacement.

What pics???

These were my pictures (I was getting rid of wheel well fluttering and cleaning out the "rocker panel dirt collection receptacles" - quite obvious in the images), not pictures of the damaged vehicle. If the OP chooses to post pictures we could get a sense for what may have happened. Probably vehicle would need to be raised to get a good view though - depends on where the damage is.

• Informative
Reactions: SSonnentag
These were my pictures (I was getting rid of wheel well fluttering and cleaning out the "rocker panel dirt collection receptacles" - quite obvious in the images), not pictures of the damaged vehicle. If the OP chooses to post pictures we could get a sense for what may have happened. Probably vehicle would need to be raised to get a good view though - depends on where the damage is.

I figured he was looking at the wrong pics :)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
First of all , Thanks everyone for your replies. This is an awesome community.

Today has been an awfully busy day and I couldn't really get to my car before dark (no ramps or garage). I am sorry I cannot get any photos. I have decided to get the car towed tomorrow morning to a Tesla certified body shop and asses the damage. I plan to go to the shop and ask them to put it on a lift for me to see what's going underneath.

I have the dual motor. Looking at the photos posted by AlanSubie4Life - wow those hoses are really exposed. Why would they not protect it with anything?!

My concern is still about the front control unit malfunctioning? This could be a major expense. And if it there is an issue here like busted sensors or damaged compute units , I would like for it to be replaced at Tesla not at the certified body shop. However, they claim they can do all of it. If they are replacing parts rather than fixing them , maybe it is easy.

Yeah, I will. I am waiting for the appraiser to come and see that I hit a deer and do it before they tow it out from my house.

When I spoke to a Tesla's service center this morning, they said two things are being reported from the diagnostics.
1. The battery coolant is not full (probably quite low).
2. Front control unit is malfunctioning. [ I really hope this is not damaged or needs replacement].

Tesla SC says next appointment is 10 days away. However they also said I can do all of this at their recommended collision shops. Local reviews seem fine for Tesla work.

I am apprehensive about choosing between Tesla or their authorized body shops. Latter will work with my insurance and can apparently repair the problems. Any MCU issues I feel like Tesla would be a better bet but they wouldn't talk to insurance companies.

Any advice?
All I can as add is that I have used a Tesla certified repair shop twice and they know the car inside out and have done as good a job as I could ask for.

Reactions: narenravi88
First of all , Thanks everyone for your replies. This is an awesome community.

Today has been an awfully busy day and I couldn't really get to my car before dark (no ramps or garage). I am sorry I cannot get any photos. I have decided to get the car towed tomorrow morning to a Tesla certified body shop and asses the damage. I plan to go to the shop and ask them to put it on a lift for me to see what's going underneath.

I have the dual motor. Looking at the photos posted by AlanSubie4Life - wow those hoses are really exposed. Why would they not protect it with anything?!

My concern is still about the front control unit malfunctioning? This could be a major expense. And if it there is an issue here like busted sensors or damaged compute units , I would like for it to be replaced at Tesla not at the certified body shop. However, they claim they can do all of it. If they are replacing parts rather than fixing them , maybe it is easy.

The good news is that, because you hit the deer and not, say, a guardrail or another car, this will be a COMPREHENSIVE claim with your insurance, and not a collision. Usually a lower deductible, and should be no impact to your rates. Also means that the expenses aren’t your concern - let them fix the car and it’ll be good as new.

Much as you may want to clean the car, don’t until the adjuster sees it. Tufts of hair, or (eww) blood will show that it was in fact a deer hit.

I’m in the midst of exactly this on our Buick. My wife hit one at highway speed 2 weeks ago.

Don’t underestimate the damage one deer can do. Hers set off the airbags, but the outside looked like cosmetic damage. As they started taking the front apart, we saw how much mechanical damage there is. We’re up to $16k and counting ...

The lousy part is that it means I’ve lost my Tesla, because she’s making *me* drive the rental car! I miss my Model 3 .....

474F2E82-8C81-4B6D-8D9B-6CAE98B8B4BC.jpeg
C644F1CC-00EA-4C50-98B9-99EED7843CCA.jpeg
F9415384-BACF-4D6A-901D-BDC12525FBA0.jpeg
C6BBC5B2-5EBA-47A1-8BBC-6B4D79A957D8.jpeg

Looking at the photos posted by AlanSubie4Life - wow those hoses are really exposed. Why would they not protect it with anything?!

Keep in mind the pictures are taken with the plastic wheel liners removed. Of course, those provide only superficial protection from minor debris. But just to be clear on what you're looking at. Without removing the covers, you can't see the hoses without peering above/around them.

My Lexus GX has factory installed armor on a few of the components under the car. Of course it's designed for off-roading. :D
Seriously though I haven't seen any other vehicle where it's so easy to do $15k of damage.

Are you serious?

no Porsche?

no Maserati / AudiRS / Mercedes / BMW ?

You haven't seen very many vehicles equivalent to Tesla prices in accidents "lately"

The good news is that, because you hit the deer and not, say, a guardrail or another car, this will be a COMPREHENSIVE claim with your insurance, and not a collision. Usually a lower deductible, and should be no impact to your rates. Also means that the expenses aren’t your concern - let them fix the car and it’ll be good as new.

Much as you may want to clean the car, don’t until the adjuster sees it. Tufts of hair, or (eww) blood will show that it was in fact a deer hit.

I’m in the midst of exactly this on our Buick. My wife hit one at highway speed 2 weeks ago.

Don’t underestimate the damage one deer can do. Hers set off the airbags, but the outside looked like cosmetic damage. As they started taking the front apart, we saw how much mechanical damage there is. We’re up to $16k and counting ...

The lousy part is that it means I’ve lost my Tesla, because she’s making *me* drive the rental car! I miss my Model 3 .....

View attachment 473287 View attachment 473290 View attachment 473293 View attachment 473294

Yeah, Concerning deer girth...… They are like walking trees.

Reactions: dmurphy
Are you serious?

no Porsche?

no Maserati / AudiRS / Mercedes / BMW ?

You haven't seen very many vehicles equivalent to Tesla prices in accidents "lately"
I guess I should have said that I’ve never seen a car where it’s so easy to do damage that costs a third of the value of the car to fix. Having plastic bits on the battery that are exposed to road debris and require a full pack replacement to fix is not great.

Reactions: C141medic