Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a dead deer last night and car is out coolant :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that is a lot of damage. But no replacement battery which is good! A bit surprised both sides need work, etc. And it does look like they are repairing the "battery." (Why are they painting it?) Any comments on what they found there exactly?

I got an email towards the end of the day. I will contact the body shop tomorrow for details. They have closed for the day.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yeah, the front valance was damaged which might suggest the radiator got damaged. But there are no line items for that, or line items for any hoses, etc.

It's just an initial estimate, so it's going to get modified as they go ahead and repair the car.

OK, I am sorry I have been MIA for a while. But there was a massive update on my car only earlier this week. I won't bore you with details of scheduling problems between the body shop and Tesla.

Anyway, It turns out there has been a lot of internal damage (apparently?). The car was towed from the body shop to Tesla, after several days of waiting for a Tesla engineer to show up. Tesla said they will have to replace the battery, the computer , repair the drive unit, replace the hose assembly and replace the coolant reservoir , apart from the body work.

The new estimate has just absolutely blown my mind. [Including labor, the new estimate is $26,800]. This is crazy.

Finalestimate.png

Why? And do I have that option?

No - that’s completely up to the insurance company. You can ask but it’s ultimately 100% their decision.

I don’t think they will anyway - even at $26k, the repair is still quite a bit less than the car is worth.

I also don’t see what totaling this vehicle would do for you. It’ll be just fine once it’s repaired.

Why? And do I have that option?

To have that option the repair cost has to get high enough that it hits the insurance company threshold for totaling. You can help the. number get there by arguing for diminished value, although those rules vary significantly by state and may not be available to you with a comprehensive claim on your own insurance.

Only advantage to having them total the car now is you won’t have to spend months waiting for it to get repaired. Disadvantage is taking the depreciation hit unless you had a new car replacement rider on your insurance.

To have that option the repair cost has to get high enough that it hits the insurance company threshold for totaling. You can help the. number get there by arguing for diminished value, although those rules vary significantly by state and may not be available to you with a comprehensive claim on your own insurance.

Only advantage to having them total the car now is you won’t have to spend months waiting for it to get repaired. Disadvantage is taking the depreciation hit unless you had a new car replacement rider on your insurance.

I don't know if I have that on my insurance. I should add it on , I suppose... Especially for the Model 3.

Is the battery really not protected at all? I really did not think my hit was that bad for this much damage.

Looks like the biggest line items are the battery (13.5K) and the MCU replacement at $1,680. While I could see the reason for the battery pack replacement based on the discussion earlier the in thread, what is the reason for the MCU replacement? And how did that get damaged?

Was under the impression the MCU sat on the passenger compartment side of the firewall, at knee height.

Is the battery really not protected at all? I really did not think my hit was that bad for this much damage.

The bottom is protected, but there are some very vulnerable coolant lines up front that can get damaged and require battery replacement. It is a bit crazy - when this stuff happened on the S, Tesla released a titanium shield to protect the front. Unfortunately none of these 3 events have gotten any news so Tesla hasn't done anything as of yet.

Also, I think you car was without coolant for several days as I recall. That probably fried some other electronics.

I'd be much more comfortable with totaling it. With massive rebuilds there's a very good chance that there will be issues. I would be stressed about things going wrong.

I wish this was an option. I think i'd lose a couple of thousand dollars but would be OK. Since Tesla is doing most of the battery stuff, I am sure its going to be fine.

What trim is the OP's car?
If it is SR, the actual cash value would be around $28K.
And the repair cost would be above 80% of the actual cash value and it will be declared totaled.

Dual motor. The damage is about half the price of the car.

Reactions: SlimJim