Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a deer in MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After several close calls with Deer each fall this morning I unfortunately made contact with one in MY. I was able to slow from 70 to about 25 after I spotted the deer wandering across the highway. Honked and slammed on the breaks but still made impact and the deer bounced off front of car and subsequently run away. It left quite a bit of damage but could have been worse and at least I was able to continue driving to work(keeping it under 65)
I Made Tesla service apt and was referred to a Tesla approved body shop. I guess no Tesla loaner vehicle in this scenario ?

Really bummed ☹️ about the damage and having to make an insurance claim and not having this car for several weeks while it’s repaired...
View attachment 607374 View attachment 607375

OP, how long did your repair take? My vehicle also hit a deer earlier this morning. I plan to take my vehicle to Tesla-authorized body shop first thing on Monday morning. Did insurance accept the body shop's quote without any problem? How long did repair take? Any post fix issues?

If the body shop is an approved by your insurance company shop then the insurance company will deal directly with the shop and accept their billing. You should only have to pay your deductible. Length of time for repairs usually depends on availability of parts from Tesla. At least, that’s how it works with USAA.

Glad to hear you are OK OP.

Bell deer whistles on every car for 15 years, please go to Walmart and get many pairs, they really work, my state trooper neighbor at the time confirmed reduction from 5-10 deer hits a year to one or none here in deer infested OH. Mating season is in full swing now and they run in a straight line to the pxxxx emanating oestrus oblivious to all else, just like some of us.
618dJFyB-aL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Have you tried using a plunger? Just messing w/U:)
Where did you mount them? Don’t these need airflow to operate? Sounds like a great idea though.

Here's an idea for Elon. Use the Pedestrian Warning Speaker and add a deer mode. Play some frequency or series of frequecies that emulate those deer whistles via the PWS and hopefully scare them off the road. No idea how loud or what capabilities that PWS has, if it is feasible, but sounds like it could be possible? The whistles are cheap, but using a built in PWS is even cheaper and you do not have to fool around with installing those whistles in the front grill or somewhere. Just a thought...

Reactions: DanCar
Where did you mount them? Don’t these need airflow to operate? Sounds like a great idea though.

On the MY you will likely use the bottom grille. You are right, parts of the grille have a blind back wall, make sure you can see through behind, so air will flow.

On my MS I have them stuck in the mini-grilles adjacent to the foglights, with the bottom adhesive surface securing them (make sure your rub off the Diesel exhaust residue with alcohol first).

Fun fact, if you go about 80mph with windows open you will hear a gentle whistle, the main sound they make is in the infrasonic, i.e. inaudible to us humans spectrum.

Reactions: EVNation
Hit a deer with my Lexus...$7500 damage. Covered by insurance less deductible under comprehensive and not collision. Should not affect your rates.

Just don’t be shocked when you go to trade it and get smacked with CarFax report that with put a huge ding in your trade.

Anything under $5K I pay out of pocket. So I would have gone through insurance at your price tag.

But the advice above is good. Get an estimate before running to insurance company.

Oh and if you change insurance ANY claim will affect the rate you get. No matter who’s fault it is.

Both happened to me. When someone hit ME broke my mirror and their insurance paid for it. $1200.00. Ended up costing me $8K. $5K on trade and $3K when switching to a new insurance company and charging a higher premium fir 3 years because I didn’t have an claim free record.

another tip: Take and keep all of the photos of the damage. When I've sold (many) cars before privately and such cars have had some sort of damage that occurred while I had the car? I let the photos tell the story to interested buyers. Most buyers that are serious wont be overly concerned 4 years from now when you go to sell the car and show photos/records that clearly show what appears to be 90% front plastic bumper cover replacement and maybe front hood replacement or repair/respray that occurred years ago. Especially if the repairs were dont properly.

I agree about the lack of evidence, maybe for me they are a crutch. I know that here in Ohio I always look for shiny dots floating through the night and never ever drive above 10mph with window open after the horrific accident leaving a young woman disfigured when buck jumped through opened window from hillside 35mph zone just down the road from where I live.

I also practice defensive driving at OCD levels, it saved my hide not once from druggies, geries, and texters.

OP, how long did your repair take? My vehicle also hit a deer earlier this morning. I plan to take my vehicle to Tesla-authorized body shop first thing on Monday morning. Did insurance accept the body shop's quote without any problem? How long did repair take? Any post fix issues?
I just do not understand why Elon cannot incorporate a deer whistle in these Teslas.. he can make the car have flatulence but no deer deterant?!

• Disagree
Reactions: cgell