Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a Deer....no one hurt in vehicle.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have not… I asked them what the magic number would be and they said it looks like one hasn’t been established yet… so beats me.

The State Farm rep I was talking to seemed hyper focused on my $500 deductible and was trying to figure out if in my situation (not at fault accident but the other party was under insured) it would be reduced down to $300. For the life of me I could not make him understand I didn’t give a crap about my deductible… I guess they’re used to a lot of people calling in where $500 to $1000 is literally killer to them.

I’m on the other side trying to think about if maybe it would be like four or five grand out of pocket (after the $7500 tax credit) to get a new one depending how much they paid out if it was totaled, lol I probably would jump at that… $8-$12k out of pocket… probably would pass and hope they do a good job repairing mine.

I’m also not sure he knew the age of my car (might have instead been looking at when I switched to State Farm, two years ago), because he tossed out some “guesses” in the mid $40k but then said he knew a new one could go up near $60k… well mine is 8 months old… not a lot of wiggle room between that and “new.”

Edit. He also mentioned they don’t send estimators out to look at the vehicle when the vehicle is at an approved (in network) shop, which mine is. Then they just take the word of the shop and the shop will determine if it’s totaled… I’m sure the shop really wants to turn away the $17,000 in labor they have coming to them…
Uh, used 22 MYP with 10K miles or less goes around 50K+. Car total payout is based on the current market price. A brand new MYP after tax credit is also around 50K. It will end up being a wash. I would push for the car to be totaled as much as possible. Especially when there is no diminished value to claim. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do other than begging the insurance to run the calculation again. I think 33K+salvage value+rental reimbursement should be fairly close to the threshold.

Reactions: jwb2781 and jebinc
Uh, used 22 MYP with 10K miles or less goes around 50K+. Car total payout is based on the current market price. A brand new MYP after tax credit is also around 50K. It will end up being a wash. I would push for the car to be totaled as much as possible. Especially when there is no diminished value to claim. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do other than begging the insurance to run the calculation again. I think 33K+salvage value+rental reimbursement should be fairly close to the threshold.
I was told they don’t factor rental cost into it… which was surprising and confusing to me.

I think I need to call the shop and get them to estimate a value for it to be totaled… since the insurance company said they don’t do an estimate on it and just use what the shop tells them.

Also a little worried since apparently the shop has already started work…

The same vehicle brand new would be $63,960 after tax in WA… if a used one was $50k they would need to pay out ~$54,500 to factor in tax (a requirement for total loss in WA). That leave a difference of $9,460 before the $7,500 credit… or $1,960 out of pocket…. I would jump for that, even if I ate the full $6,500…

$2000 for a brand new car, $8,500 for a new car with matte film (and maybe they would cut me s little discount since it would be my 3rd visit there, lol)… that wouldn’t be too bad. Just have to figure out how to get them to do that…

Reactions: jebinc
Stinks man. When I had my 2021 MYP, I had a deer run into me while at a stop sign! HAHA! Cant make that one up!

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0465.jpeg

Reactions: laservet