Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a tree branch and punctured front - Coolant leaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wind storm and hit a fallen branch I didn't see that punctured the front of the car. Coolant leaked immediately and quickly. Bottom of the car punctured as well. Low coolant warning popped within 2 minutes. Is the car driveable to a service center (2.5hr away)?
IMG_20231107_031508442.png

Attachments

• IMG_20231107_031513907.png
    IMG_20231107_031513907.png
    748.1 KB · Views: 28
I can't speak authoritatively, but trying to drive any significant distance with visibly leaking coolant and possible battery pack damage sounds like a really bad idea to me. If you knew more about exactly what the damage was, that might mitigate some of the risk, but with just the information you posted, that's how I see things. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do!

Bruce.

Upvote 0
You've got a car with holes and it's already complaining that it doesn't have enough coolant. It's going into limp mode at best. And you want to take a 2.5hr drive?

Personally I feel like I'd put your odds at maybe 30% that you make it there under it's own power.

If you were asking about a less than 30 minute drive and the battery was already charged and it was letting you drive then I'd consider it. But you're talking about driving for a long time, and charging, etc. I feel like you're going to be really lucky if the car ONLY decides to bring you down to low levels of driving and charging for that time. Seems highly likely it's going to say "No, you're done." before you get there.

Upvote 0