Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HK: Model S Deposit date - confirmation - Sequence # - expected delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is really bad news. I guess I will be December. My feeling is that something is wrong at Tesla and they are not being open about it. It is essential that someone very high up says something to customers quickly if there are serious problems with the company.

Sequence # (if known, seems it wasn't issued after January 2014 deposits): #9 on general queue
TMC user Name: duidui
Deposit date: APR 2011 ... yes 3+ years now
Confirmation date: 26 Feb 2014
In-production date (when available): Approx. May ?
"TMC guess" of delivery date (will be adjusted until a more firm date is received from TM): July
TM estimate date: Aug -> Sep -> Late-Sep -> Oct -> Nov
Actual delivery date: Hopefully no further delays than Nov.
VIN (last 6 characters of the long number on your My Tesla, My Dashboard, when available): P45700
60 60S 85 P85 P85+: 85
Seats: Tex SWh Blk Tan Gry: Blk
Decor Ycht P.Blk Ob.M Ob.G Lcwd Cbn: Cbn
Paint color: White
Panoramic roof: Yes
Air suspension: Yes
Tech package: Yes
Dual chargers: No
Sound package: No
Sensors: Yes
Light option: No
Fog light: No
Center Aisle: No
Alcantera: No
Nappa: No
19" / 19" Slv Cyc / Slv Trb 21" / Grey Trb 21": 19"

The best analogy I can come up with is the way a Blackjack dealer can throw one card to one player at a time. Most cars built during September are for US delivery, then October will be most of the exports and November a blend of what is left. Since the line can make up to 1000/wk then i have to guess they are dealing cards to one particular location at a time for best sales results versus most happy worldwide customers. October will be Australia, a few more to HK, few to Japan and Europe but November starts to grow more foreign deliveries as ships, trains and transport is more efficient with a larger bulk order. Musk did say boats going to China are almost all empty and I presume similar for Hong Kong. But they would't want to ship 10-30 per ship but rather more like 50 or more in a larger set. The US is still the primary customer base of Tesla with maybe 60% of Q3 sales being the US. But I think they will catch up on back orders for HK by year end, if not end of January.

while one region is getting cars, it gets attention and that leads to more orders and 3-4 month waits. It is not efficient for keeping store employees working hard for three months but rather for one hard month and two slower months. Maybe as they grow, they will have a smoother flow of deliveries. For example, my local US sales gallery has nearly 40 cars ready for end of Sept delivery. But they will be very quiet in October for deliveries. We just had a national plug on day event at the Tesla site and that may lead to a few more orders for Q4. Nearly 300 visitors. However, many drove in with their plug in vehicles and so prospective buyers may have been outnumbered by the already-initiated.

another business issue I must guess is that if they ran the line at 1500 per week they would exhaust worldwide backlog and need to rely only on new orders or loaner car buildout to go into an inventory basis. That is a dangerous position to be in as it would be a big negative for the stock price as it reverses the point about being production constrained rather than demand constrained. An eventual flushed backlog is a balancing act being carefully, uh, balanced.

I have a feeling that everything you said is correct.

@lx3h: have you heard any further information from TM about your delivery?

"Further information" was received last week when I wrote an email to my DS, and most of the detailed were posted on this thread last week. Basically what I know is, we won't get a real answer because the DS themselves don't know as well. They have their standard answers from a cheat sheet which answers everything but the reality.

What is definite is that if we don't get a call from DS saying that our cars are in Hong Kong, then our cars might still be in the form of parts.

When I talked to my DS early this week and he informed me about the delay to December, I asked when my car will be finished production (Dashboard "in production" status almost for a month already). He looked in his system and said "end of September". Asking why it takes 2 month to get the car to HK the answer was "...the car needs to go through testing first...".
Today I received a call from TM (not my DS) to verify my address for the shipment of the wall connector. I thought no harm and asked how about the delivery of my car. He looked in his system and gave me a precise date early November. Now hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. :crying:
At least my i3 will arrive end of the month, so I can start some EV driving in October :smile:

I'll receive my car tomorrow.
The boat was delayed a few days by Typhoon Kalmaegi.
It's grey and will be wearing the registration 'HS 921' - give it a flash/wave or hoot if you see it - my wife will be driving - she'll probably freak ;)
I'll continue to drive my grey Roadster with registration 'JB' - yes - tasteful - I know.
Charging at 13A is going to feel really slow....

Hi, new to this thread. Nice to meet you all Tesla guys

Sequence # (if known, seems it wasn't issued after January 2014 deposits): 4??
TMC user Name: EddieY
Deposit date: Sep 13
Confirmation date: Feb 14
In-production date (when available):14 Aug
"TMC guess" of delivery date (will be adjusted until a more firm date is received from TM):
TM estimate date: Oct
Actual delivery date: 30 Sep or 3 Oct
VIN (last 6 characters of the long number on your My Tesla, My Dashboard, when available): P47165
60 60S 85 P85 P85+: 60
Seats: Tex SWh Blk Tan Gry: Gry
Decor Ycht P.Blk Ob.M Ob.G Lcwd Cbn: P.Blk
Paint color: Blue
Air suspension: No
19"

Hi, new to this thread. Nice to meet you all Tesla guys

Sequence # (if known, seems it wasn't issued after January 2014 deposits): 4??
TMC user Name: EddieY
Deposit date: Sep 13
Confirmation date: Feb 14
In-production date (when available):14 Aug
"TMC guess" of delivery date (will be adjusted until a more firm date is received from TM):
TM estimate date: Oct
Actual delivery date: 30 Sep or 3 Oct
VIN (last 6 characters of the long number on your My Tesla, My Dashboard, when available): P47165
60 60S 85 P85 P85+: 60
Seats: Tex SWh Blk Tan Gry: Gry
Decor Ycht P.Blk Ob.M Ob.G Lcwd Cbn: P.Blk
Paint color: Blue
Air suspension: No
19"

Your configuration is about the same as mine, except the Supercharger, colour and Nappa.

Another piece of evidence that mine was being cut out from the 14th Aug production batch! Oh no!

Hi everyone! I am new to this thread.

Sequence # (if known, seems it wasn't issued after January 2014 deposits):
TMC user Name: smcyue
Deposit date: 12 Sept 2014
Confirmation date: 12 Sept 2014
In-production date (when available):
TM estimate date: December
Actual delivery date:
VIN (last 6 characters of the long number on your My Tesla, My Dashboard, when available): P58592
60 60S 85 P85 P85+: P85+
Seats: Tex SWh Blk Tan Gry: Tan
Decor Ycht P.Blk Ob.M Ob.G Lcwd Cbn: Cbn
Paint color: Plain white
Panoramic roof: yes
Air suspension: yes
Tech package: yes
Dual chargers: no
Sound package: no
Sensors: yes
Light option: yes
Fog light: yes
Center Aisle: no
Alcantera: yes white
Nappa: no
19" / 19" Slv Cyc / Slv Trb 21" / Grey Trb 21": Grey Trb 21

My updates.... My Model S is delivered today (30-Sep)!

Some thoughts
1. The taxi driver has no idea where is TML Plaza. You can ask him to go to Cable TV Tower and they will know how to get there.
2. All the staff in Tesla showroom including Fiona (the DS) is so young! Oh my youth...
3. I was always concerning that the car is too wide (Even wider than S class or 7 series)... but it is not that difficult to handle as I thought.
4. Re-gen is stronger than I thought that I haven't test it thoroughly during test drive.
5. Both 13A and 32A cable is much heavier and bulky than I thought.
6. Note: If you are not allowed to install wall connector in the parking space. Ask them not to deliver the connector. While you can ask the charging team to exchange it with the 13A connector for FREE.

@LT_S60: 2. young...

Yes, in the USA, we also see young 20-something people in sales galleries. Service-center men are older, due to industry experience. I know a friend of my own son who worked as an intern in Tesla in California. College student. Interns are low-cost and hard working, looking to work at a name-brand company for the resume. They will work cheaply for a year or two and put in long hours. Also, in the USA, if you are 25 years old or younger, you can still be on your parent's health insurance and you can opt-out of taking a company's health insurance. So, perhaps that is another issue in hiring young people under 26.

I am very happy to see all the first production batch of cars getting delivered!

My delivery is confirmed for 7 October. Then off to install accessories so I should be on the road by 13 October. This is 23 months after the reservation was made. I had to delay my delivery from last week to next week due to customer commitments outside HK.

For those trying to do precision HK delivery dates here is my experience:

Car went into production around August 9th, finished a few days later (I didn't log into my dashboard that often). Estimated completion was week of August 11th.
So even though produced within the same few days. my car missed the boat that had DITB's car. Got the next boat about a week later - sometime the week of 24 August. Car arrives in HK late week of 14 September.

My DS was trying to get the car delivered by 23 September to fit my schedule but couldn't confirm a date. The uncertainties in customs and TD inspections makes a precision delivery date for those first cars off each boat difficult. My DS was in daily contact me during the week of the 21st to notify me if my car was in the batch of cars released by the authorities that day so I could pick it up 1-2 days later. All of the Tesla team in HK was very supportive and provided good communication on what was happening and what to expect.

The uncertainty in post production status appears to be driven by 1) what ship your car gets on when it leaves the US, 2) where in the random sequence of inspections from TD and and customs your car falls, 3) backlog in deliveries at the service center and 4) your own schedule. There is 3-4 week time period between best case delivery time post production and worst case.

Looking back, the DS messages have been focused on the worst case dates of mid October with a bit of optimism that it could be as early as the third week of September. Ultimately they were right. My lasting impression is that they do communicate their best knowledge when they get it. The reality is that they don't have a lot of precise information to work with and then communicate to the buyers.

Correction:
That's normal. Your car has still not started production. This status can last for months.

My car shows "In Production" status since 28.8. Quite unusual, as production usually lasts for a week only. Hoping just TM didn't update the status and the car is on the boat already, but maybe just my dream.

Last edited: