Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holes in the map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the easiest way to see a map of the US that shows Tesla "blackout" zones - places you can't take a Tesla if you plan on exclusively using superchargers? I know it depends on the range of the car, so I would assume most Teslas can safely go 200 miles on a charge, which allows for arrival at the next supercharger with a few miles to spare. The "blackout" zone would include places where you wouldn't have enough charge to make it back to the nearest supercharger when you depart the location. As I'm thinking about it, then that would mean any place that it more than 100 miles from the nearest supercharger.

I'm imagining this map as being 100% blackout zone before Tesla. But then as Tesla started building superchargers at an amazing rate, the map quickly filled in, but still isn't 100% filled in today.

I'm guessing probably 80% of the map would be "filled in" showing that 80% of places in the US can be reached using a Tesla by only using superchargers from the time one leaves his/her house until return back to the house.

100 mile radius on supercharge.info /map

85F4jYx.jpg

While it is true that we can get most places via the Supercharger network, there are still plenty of places in the middle of the country where one has to take a roundabout route to do so. A classic case is the missing Kayenta AZ Supercharger Station, which has been on the "coming soon" list since 2016. To get from Blanding UT or Farmington NM Supercharger Stations to Flagstaff AZ most of us have to skip the direct route via US 160 and divert to I-40, via Gallup NM and Holbrook AZ. This route is much longer and requires a visit to Gallup, a four stall Supercharger Station that is becoming notorious for broken stalls and lines of cars waiting, despite being in a remote part of the country.

Another missing node on US 160 is Alamosa CO, the gateway city for Great Sand Dunes National Park. Getting from I-25 to Great Sand Dunes or to Farmington NM Supercharger Station, which serves Mesa Verde National Park, without Alamosa and US 160, is difficult and requires long circuitous routes.

Those living on the coasts, with densely packed Supercharger Stations, may not realize it but there are still plenty of places in between the coasts that are hard to reach. Tesla is understandably focusing on building redundant Supercharger Stations in densely populated areas, where most of the cars are, to reduce lines and waiting. But there are still some spots in flyover country that could use basic coverage.

Reactions: scottf200
Those living on the coasts, with densely packed Supercharger Stations, may not realize it but there are still plenty of places in between the coasts that are hard to reach. Tesla is understandably focusing on building redundant Supercharger Stations in densely populated areas, where most of the cars are, to reduce lines and waiting. But there are still some spots in flyover country that could use basic coverage.

This.

I understand that there are a LOT of Teslas sold in CA but it's more than a little frustrating to see nearly 50 superchargers under construction or permitted in CA alone (in addition to the 175 existing superchargers in CA) when that same number of 50 additional superchargers, if strategically placed, would make a massive difference to the gigantic area in between the coasts.