Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Chargepoint unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model 3 RWD, and a chargepoint installed at home in my garage.

Is there no way to unlock the charge port from the app?

Each time I go to use the car, I have to go inside the car, unlock the charge port from the screen, exit the car and unplug, then get back in the car.

It would be so much easier if I could unlock from the app, but when I try pressing the lightning bolt icon in the app nothing happens

I have a model 3 RWD, and a chargepoint installed at home in my garage.

Is there no way to unlock the charge port from the app?

Each time I go to use the car, I have to go inside the car, unlock the charge port from the screen, exit the car and unplug, then get back in the car.

It would be so much easier if I could unlock from the app, but when I try pressing the lightning bolt icon in the app nothing happens

Normally, when the app finishes connecting with the car (which takes a few moments) and you click on the lightning bolt icon, there is a "unlock charge port" button that appears, along with one that says "start charging". Here is a picture of my tesla app I just took (and cropped some to remove my car name etc).

IMG_0408.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Each time I go to use the car, I have to go inside the car, unlock the charge port from the screen, exit the car and unplug,
As @Soul Surfer points out, you really don't have to do ANY of that when you are going to unplug. The button on either a Tesla plug or J1772 plug has two functions when it is plugged into the car. It will interrupt current to stop the charging, and it also retracts that locking pin, so the port is unlocked. Then you can pull it out without having to mess with any apps or screens in the car. And as @Soul Surfer mentioned, if it's J1772, you should probably grab the adapter with your other hand so you can pull them out together instead of the adapter remaining in the port and gets locked in again.

Reactions: E90alex
The app does work! Thanks jjrandorin and everyone. I didn't realize it but if i wait about 10 seconds for it to connect. Then I can push the unlock button in the app.

I don't see any buttons to push physically on it though. The one that is on top of the handle there will release it from the adapter, but the adapter is still locked in there. Here's what mine looks like:

IMG_5775.JPG

The app does work! Thanks jjrandorin and everyone. I didn't realize it but if i wait about 10 seconds for it to connect. Then I can push the unlock button in the app.

I don't see any buttons to push physically on it though. The one that is on top of the handle there will release it from the adapter, but the adapter is still locked in there. Here's what mine looks like:

View attachment 925950
The button on the top is the one we're all talking about. Hold it down until the port unlocks, then either release it and pull the plug and the adapter out together before it locks again, or use your other hand to pull the adapter out along with the plug while holding the button.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H