Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger keeps topping up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m away on holidays and left my car plugged in with a state of charge of about 60%. I set the scheduled charging to start at 3 am and set the charge slider to 50%.

I assumed that the car would slowly lose some charge due to phantom drain over the course of 2 weeks but would only add charge once the level dropped below 50.

I have only been gone a few days but since that time I have received numerous “charging done” messages including morning and middle of the day; for example “charging completed at 10 am with battery at 60%. “

It appears to be ignoring the 50% set point and the 3 am scheduled charging and is topping up the battery throughout the day every time it drops below the state of charge at the time I plugged it in.

That doesn’t seem right. Anyone else having this?

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
It's totally normal for the car to stop charging, let the battery drain 1-2%, then restart charging. That's how it works. But, it shouldn't be topping up multiple times per day (unless the battery is infact draining that much). While fully sleeping it should probably top up every couple days.

Also ignoring the charge limit is weird... do you have sentry mode on or something? That might explain the extra battery drain. Not sure about the incorrect charge limit tho.

I've gotten those notifications after I have woken the car up outside of charging hours after it has been sitting a few days. Almost like a delayed status update or it triggers charging for a few seconds until it wakes up enough to understand what time of day it is. I think it's more of a software bug than it actually charging outside of programmed hours. I have never seen that happen.

Reactions: pdamski
What software version are you on? I saw this sort of roughly-hourly top-up soon after I first got my car, on 2019.8.x, but it stopped with 2019.12.x. (I've no idea if it would have charged when the charge limit was set below the current SoC, though.) If you're running very old software, it could be you're looking at the same bug I saw; or if you're running something newer or exotic, it could be that old bug has returned. I suppose it's also possible that the bug never went away, but I just stopped seeing it for some reason and you're seeing it now.