Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would consult an electrician. Service sizing is something best left up to them.
For the Tesla HPWC or UMC, you simply need a double pole 240v circuit breaker capable of up to 60a for the HPWC and up to 40a for the UMC.

RV 50 Amp service is the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

A Tesla will happily charge on that - in fact, Tesla always included the adapter for that with the UMC until the middle of this year.

If you need the fastest possible charging, you’ll want a 60A or larger dedicated line from the breaker box to the garage, onto which a hard wired Wall Connector will eventually be installed.

The Wall Connector can go up to 80A using a 100A wire/breaker, but current production cars are limited to 48A on a 60A line. The Cybertruck will probably be the same, but that’s an unknown at this time.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
It’s probably best to put a sub panel with 100amps in the garage. That way you can be future proofed somewhat, for either a faster charging car or two regulars, or a car and a motor home. I’ve got a model S with 72 amp charging and a model 3 with 48 amp charging, it’s nice to charge both at the same time. If you’re building a new place it shouldn’t be hard to run some aluminum to the garage.

• Helpful
Reactions: 365gtb4 and SSedan
It is pretty narrow minded to suggest a 60amp circuit for the HCWC when it is capable of being on a 100amp circuit and there are cars out there that can take the full 80from that.
Being we should expect the CT to be hungry compared to the current offerings and the OP is specifically asking about being able to charge as fast as possible at home the only answer he should be getting is a 100amp circuit for a HCWC.

Since there are plans for a 15-40 for the RV that is a built in backup plan for the CT, awesome..

I would expect the CT to have charging options beyond the 48amp offered on the current vehicles. Heck I could see them doubling up that charger and electronically capping them at 80amp total.

My S has dual 40amp, don't use that capability often but it is really nice to have.

It is pretty narrow minded to suggest a 60amp circuit for the HCWC when it is capable of being on a 100amp circuit and there are cars out there that can take the full 80from that.
Being we should expect the CT to be hungry compared to the current offerings and the OP is specifically asking about being able to charge as fast as possible at home the only answer he should be getting is a 100amp circuit for a HCWC.

This. Since the question is specifically for a new home, where the incremental cost of 'doing it right' will be much lower than on a retrofit, do it right. That means 100A to the garage to take full advantage of a HPWC's 80A charging capability. Today Teslas max out at 48A, but that will not always be the case. Were it me, I'd probably stop at 100A, as even if we're eventually in a world where I've got a 3-car garage housing 3 vehicles with a total of 450 kWh of batteries, each capable of charging at 80A, a shared 19.2 kW is still likely to get me through the day pretty easily 99.9% of the time. But you could make a case to outfit each vehicle position with 100A capacity just in case.

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Also, with that said, I currently charge 2 Teslas with 175 kWh of batteries between them on a shared 60A (48A charge power) circuit, and it's totally fine. That's what informs my perspective that a shared 100A/80A setup is likely going to be good for a very long time. It's not like cars will suddenly use far more energy/mi in the future, even if their battery capacity rises significantly.

Also, with that said, I currently charge 2 Teslas with 175 kWh of batteries between them on a shared 60A (48A charge power) circuit, and it's totally fine. That's what informs my perspective that a shared 100A/80A setup is likely going to be good for a very long time. It's not like cars will suddenly use far more energy/mi in the future, even if their battery capacity rises significantly.

And those two vehicles are capable of the energy use of a CT? The CT with towing and hauling is going to be highly likely to get home from a day of work and need to recover for the next or home from a weekend away with a camper and need to recover.
Also since it is new construction and the cost of overkill now is peanuts compared to going back and redoing it now there is literally no reason to do anything less than 100amps when the OP is specifically asking about fast as possible.

And those two vehicles are capable of the energy use of a CT? The CT with towing and hauling is going to be highly likely to get home from a day of work and need to recover for the next or home from a weekend away with a camper and need to recover.
Also since it is new construction and the cost of overkill now is peanuts compared to going back and redoing it now there is literally no reason to do anything less than 100amps when the OP is specifically asking about fast as possible.

You're confused. I suggested a 100A circuit for OP. My 60A example was for my existing cars, not a hypothetical future workhorse Cybertruck. But to be clear, yes--60A is plenty even for a CT if the CT is the only vehicle. 11.5 kW would recoup 120 kW in 12 hours on that setup. That'll be fine for something like 95% of CT owners on 99% of their days.

Since a 50A breaker is just a double 25 is a 100A breaker just a quadruple?

??? A 50A breaker is not a double 25 - it's a double 50.

You need one breaker for each line with live voltage going through it, and since we use 240V split phase made up of two lines that are each going +/-120V with opposite timing, any 240V connection has two breakers, tired together so if either side trips the whole thing trips.

A 25A breaker is still a 25A breaker when it's tied into a 240V pair, and will still trip under any load over 25A if it's working correctly.

??? A 50A breaker is not a double 25 - it's a double 50.

You need one breaker for each line with live voltage going through it, and since we use 240V split phase made up of two lines that are each going +/-120V with opposite timing, any 240V connection has two breakers, tired together so if either side trips the whole thing trips.

A 25A breaker is still a 25A breaker when it's tied into a 240V pair, and will still trip under any load over 25A if it's working correctly.

Well I installed the 50A breaker myself and it was a double sized breaker in the box with both barred together. Sorry if I misspoke, just meant the sizing of the breaker in the box. I’ve not seen a 100A breaker so interested in what it looks like, how it fits in the box, etc.