Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging for a 2015 P85D with "dual chargers"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an owner of a dual charger P85, I can offer that I love being able to charge at 80 amps. I routinely charge at about half of that; however, on those occasions when I need to charge at twice the rate, it's fantastically convenient. Examples include:
  • One of us driving all around the metroplex all day and returning home in the evening with the car nearly empty on a day when we've planned to leave town that evening (say, to drive down to Austin). During the 90 minutes it takes to pack suitcases and prep the house, the car is ready to go again.
  • Oops! We only charged to 50% last night because we thought we were just going to be at home or traveling very little the next day but when we awakened we decided to take a 100 mile trip for a spontaneous adventure. 80 amps to the rescue. By the time we finish breakfast, we've added enough padding to make the trip possible.
  • Travelers passing through town finding us on Plugshare can charge at twice the rate (if their car is configured to do so). Granted, folks coming by the house to charge is less common because of the increasing number of Superchargers available.

In short, even though you'll likely charge at 40 amps or so most of the time, when you really need or want to charge twice as fast, it's great. In over 80,000 miles driven, I've never once regretted the extra money spent to hook up a 100 amp wall charger. Plus, my mobile charger just lives in my trunk, so I never worry about forgetting it when I go out of town.
Ditto!