Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging setup cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the Tesla charger installed in the garage for $350 including the county permit fees. I did not use an electrician from the Tesla site, and I felt they would charge more knowing they have a more captive audience. Any good electrician can install the Tesla HPWC if that is what you have. The settings on it aren’t that difficult. If it is close to your breaker box, then labor shouldn’t cost more than $500-$600 IMO.

I am doing it myself as we speak and I am in Southern CA. Bought all the parts this weekend. Fortunately, my location is 2' feet away from my main panel. Total cost.

50 AMP breaker: $9.48
4' 6/3 cable: $12.00 ($3 per ft)
4' 3/4" flex conduit: $4.00 ($1 per ft)
3 pack connectors conduit connector: $3.50
Wiring caps: $3.98.
Total: $32.96 + tax

Maybe add $10 for some weather sealant caulk and patching material.

If I was running 100', almost all your cost will be in wiring and conduit. Couple of junction boxes, materials should be about $450.

I am not an electrician but have some electrical/mechanical training and experience. Electrician can charge $60-$100 per hour and I think it'll be a 8 hr day's work for 100', at most. $1,000 is reasonable but $1500 is too much.

• Informative
Reactions: iSpine
Some (many?) electricians take advantage of new EV owners not knowing what they need and how much work it really is. They make it sound like 240 installations are somehow something special and thus expensive. That's total nonsense.

I want to add that I do think electricians should get payed a fair rate for their experience and work. Doing this job is much more than the sum of all parts. When I wrote I did it myself for $50 worth of parts it's not because I don't want to pay an electrician. I just don't like to be ripped off just because I have a Tesla. The first time I had an electrician come and put in an outlet right next to the panel and it cost me $850. I didn't know better back then. Next house we moved into I called another electrician hoping it would be cheaper. Again, just an outlet right next to the panel. Quoted me $1200 or something outrageous. That's when I did a little research, and with a little help from this forum I was able to do it myself.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
For installing NEMA 14-50 Outlet I got a quote for $985 ($785 for Parts + Labor and $200 for Permit). It needs 50 feet #6/3 wire run from the main panel in my unfinished basement.
I looked up the parts available from local lowes store and It came to $186 after tax.( it could go down by another $30 if I used coupons).
Electrical Permit would cost me another $75.

After this I have decided to do it myself.

I have my M3 delivery scheduled for 9/22.

For installing NEMA 14-50 Outlet I got a quote for $985 ($785 for Parts + Labor and $200 for Permit). It needs 50 feet #6/3 wire run from the main panel in my unfinished basement.
I looked up the parts available from local lowes store and It came to $186 after tax.( it could go down by another $30 if I used coupons).
Electrical Permit would cost me another $75.

After this I have decided to do it myself.

I have my M3 delivery scheduled for 9/22.
They roll in an hour or two of labor for getting the permit I’m sure.

Try telling the electrician you need the NEMA 14-50 for an RV or camper, and not "tesla." Seeing how electricians dont publish rates and can just make up whatever they want, they probably subconsciously or consciously charge tesla owners more thinking we're rich.

i mean, we generally are well off but thats not the point haha.

Reactions: P85_DA
My configuration ~ 1500$ - 60 feet from panel, house to shed where wall connector will be
- Dig a trench to pass wire - 500$
- 60' x 6/3 electrical wire - 300$
- 50' PVC underground conduit (under driveway) - 250$
- 1x 60A Breaker - 50$
- 1x 6-15 Connector 25$
- Electrician time: 300$

I'm using my UMC to charge. I installed a 14-50 outlet myself. 45 min worth of work, $60 in parts total. Electricians are sometimes a little too greedy. I got quotes from $800 to $1500 for what took me less than an hour.
I'll be installing a HPWC soon. It's the same amount of work as an outlet.

Running the wire and breaker is the same amount of work. Physical installation of the HPWC is a lot more work than a 14-50, at least an hour or two more if you’ve never done it before.

Right now, my thought is to do it myself and then possibly pay an electrician come out and "bless it." We have a hot tub on the back deck that we don't use anymore. It has a dedicated 240/50amp breaker box outside that was run from the inside panel (all installed be an electrician). I can take all of that wiring, run new conduit around the front of the house and into the garage, putting everything back together the way it was before I took it off the hot tub. Then just attach a 14/50 outlet instead of a hot tub.

That's my current plan anyway. I have about two weeks to decide for sure before the car arrives :)

Chris

Reactions: David99
Right now, my thought is to do it myself and then possibly pay an electrician come out and "bless it." We have a hot tub on the back deck that we don't use anymore. It has a dedicated 240/50amp breaker box outside that was run from the inside panel (all installed be an electrician). I can take all of that wiring, run new conduit around the front of the house and into the garage, putting everything back together the way it was before I took it off the hot tub. Then just attach a 14/50 outlet instead of a hot tub.

That's my current plan anyway. I have about two weeks to decide for sure before the car arrives :)

Chris
My cheapest quote $2k. Screw them. Have 14-50 in the back of the house, in the basement. Will use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079JBWR6W?th=1&psc=1
Drilled a hole from basement to garage.

Reactions: David99
Just to add a datapoint...

I live in Union, KY (Cincinnati metro) and was charged $1,020 to put a NEMA 14-50 in my garage which includes permit and inspection. He had to run 55 ft of conduit from the panel in the third car garage to the main two-car garage. I got two other quotes (one of which is Tesla-sponsored) and they were $1,200 and $1,333. The electrician I chose said he used to be Telsa-sponsored, but they required a lot of back-and-forth with pics and paperwork.

My cheapest quote $2k. Screw them. Have 14-50 in the back of the house, in the basement. Will use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079JBWR6W?th=1&psc=1
Drilled a hole from basement to garage.

I used to do that as well in one place. They quoted me more than $2000 to run the wiring to where I wanted it. I make an extension cord for the 14-50 myself because I couldn't find one in the right length. I used a cable that is rated for twice the power to keep losses small. It worked great. I checked with a thermal camera to see if there is any heat losses. The only thing that got warm was the UMC and it's cable.