Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging versus supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you use them too much, it will degrade your battery faster!
There is 0, absolutely 0, evidence to support this. In fact, studies have shown batteries with lots of Supercharging have less degradation than average.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Supercharging is, worst case, around a 1.5C charge rate. It's a lot in absolute terms, but, relative to the size of the battery, not that much.

Just wanted to be clear... I have access to a supercharger in a weekly basis. (I have to stop at that plaza anyway at least once a week)
Doing this will not degrade my battery? or is it better to do homecharging?

Just wanted to be clear... I have access to a supercharger in a weekly basis. (I have to stop at that plaza anyway at least once a week)
I have access to Superchargers (Free)
I always avoid it when I can. Only use it for long trips. WA to CA.
Everything I’ve seen indicates that a/c (home) charging less likely to impact battery range. Probably more important to not exceed 90% if possible. I’m basically trying to keep it at 80% on a daily basis and 90% when taking a trip. Although my 90% as close to 300 miles. Also, I only pay 8¢ Per Kw in Washington State, which makes it a no brainer.

Supercharging only degrades the battery when it’s done close to home and you have the ability to install 240V charging in your garage.

what happens if you dont have any other chose but to charge at a supercharger? The place i live at has no outlets.

Having had no home charging ability for my first year of Tesla ownership, I can attest to two things: (1) Free supercharging is a nice perk, especially if you have few if any options (in my case the Supercharger is nearby and I live in a condo), but (2) relying on Supercharging for your local driving can get very old quite quickly.
In my case, I had it about as easy as anyone could. I live only a mile or two from a Service Center with Superchargers, and I got my car before the release of Model X and Model 3, so for that first year there was rarely a time when I did not find an open stall. Now, with so many more Teslas on the road, it is much more difficult to get an open slot at that same location.
Because the Superchargers I used were at a Service Center, that gave me a place to "hang out." During business hours, I could chat with the sales people, use the bathrooms, use the WiFi, admire the cars, etc. But today it would be a much less desirable place to hang out because it is so much busier.
I live in New England, and I can tell you that charging at night or on a Sunday (when the Service Center was closed) on a cold winter day was particularly tiresome.
Despite having free lifetime supercharging privileges, and despite very high electricity costs at home (24 cents per kWh), I spent over $3000 to install my own charging, because as others said it is so much more convenient. It took me a year to get permission from my condo board, but I was glad when it got done even though my costs were unusually high.

Anyway, if you have no other choice, do it, use the Superchargers and don't worry too much about the battery, but try to arrange for level 2 charging closer to home. You will be happier, I think, even if you have to pay for your own juice.