Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When charging at home, what should the number with the A be? The picture attached has it at 34A. What should it be?

Attachments

• 49E23218-0D23-44C7-B462-4A611F9CE19D.jpeg
    49E23218-0D23-44C7-B462-4A611F9CE19D.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 126
It depends.

With the car plugged in, the line that shows 34A/40A is telling you the the EVSE that it is connected to is capable of 40A assuming it’s properly installed and configured. And it is currently set to take 34A which is user adjustable up to the limit of the EVSE.

Upvote 0
Thank all you guys for the reply, actually you all are correct, I was able to reach Tesla and the max for my charger is 40A, so I can actually charge up to the 40A or lower, also if it’s charging at a rate that is to high, I was told that the car would automatically lower it to a safe limit. Thanks again 🙏🏿🙏🏿☹️🙏🏿

Upvote 0
It has been (in the past, maybe not now?) suggested that you only charge at 80% of the rated amperage of the circuit breaker that your home charger is connected to. So if your charger is connected to a 40A breaker, that would suggest your charge at 32A (set on your charging menu). I have this configuration, and get about 23-25 miles of charge per hour.

From the supplied screenshot, 40A is the max charging rate, so that implies a 50A breaker. (80% of 50A is 40A).

Something not mentioned here is that it's less healthy for your battery to charge to 100%. It's recommended that you charge to what you need for your daily driving, and only go higher when you really need it.

You currently have the car set at 100%, and you really don't want to leave it sitting overnight at a high state of charge.

One last recommendation - change the display from "miles" to "percentage". Miles are inaccurate anyway.

Upvote 0
One last recommendation - change the display from "miles" to "percentage". Miles are inaccurate anyway.
Eh, matter of opinion. I've been using the miles setting for many years and am used to it and usually close to match it.
Set to miles, I know how fast my battery is losing range, or if a "battery-gate" hits my car.

But on topic, I usually set mine to charge at 34A at home, though 40A capable.
If the car detects too much voltage drop, that's when it lowers the charge rate automatically.

Reactions: KJD
Upvote 0
Most breakers are not meant to operate at full amperage continuiously - hence the 80% suggestion. Check what amperage your charger is wired to and make the adjustment.

But this would be set at the EVSE (e.g. wall charger). So if the breaker 60A, the EVSE would be set to 48A.

You wouldn't adjust the amperage down to the 80% value in the app or car... otherwise those simple user settings could overload the wire and cause a fire.

Whatever your charging equipment lets you charge to you should be safe to charge to. If not, then your electrician did a Very Bad Thing™.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Upvote 0
"The NEC (National Electric Code) defines safety electrical standards for homes. Since EV charging is relatively new, the NEC had to modify its existing safety load standards since EV charging can run continuously (defined as greater than 3 hours) for 3, 6, or even 12 hours straight–a situation that was not anticipated in the original safety code.
The NEC 80% rule stipulates that for EV charging, electrical circuits should not be continuously loaded to more than 80% of their maximum rated capacity…with a regular wall outlet and mobile charger you could dial it back from 12A to 9A on the charging screen. Still a lot of charging 4 miles per hour x 10 hours a day x 350 days a year = 14,000 miles a year at cheaper electric rates.

Upvote 0
My level 2 charging is 240v through a 40 amp breaker at the sub panel to a 50 amp breaker at the main panel. I use a gen 1 mobile charger that is rated for 40 amps.

When plugged in, the car shows 40 amps max draw. I've tried the 80% rule at 32 amps and the two inches of wiring running into and out of the charging brick does get noticeably warm after an hour or two of charging and thereafter. It's also somewhat warm about two inches into the charging handle too.

I've chosen to play it safe and roll with 24 amps since I plug my car in 24/7 set to 65% SoC max. My weekdays are only about 20 miles mostly so 65% is plenty. Besides, I don't want to burn my house down and being plugged in 24/7 allows the car to maintain hv battery as it needs.

My car also came with a gen 2 mobile charger but it only has a 5-15 plug and 32 amps max but I'd still be dialing it back to 24 amps.

Upvote 0