Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home power loss when charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least 200A! If the service line is underground, just go all the way to 400A because trenching is expensive.
It sounds like all of the OPs other appliances must be gas, so 200A should be fine. If the utilities are direct burial, then sure, go 300kcmil cable just in case, but 400A service would probably trigger a transformer upgrade, which the OP would probably be on the hook for.

Reactions: RTPEV
It sounds like all of the OPs other appliances must be gas, so 200A should be fine. If the utilities are direct burial, then sure, go 300kcmil cable just in case, but 400A service would probably trigger a transformer upgrade, which the OP would probably be on the hook for.
If the transformer is shared with neighbors, you're not on the hook for the upgrade costs.

If the transformer is shared with neighbors, you're not on the hook for the upgrade costs.
It probably depends on the utility. A friend of mine did a house rebuild and despite still paying the basic service fees during construction, when he requested reconnection, they told he he had to pay for a new transformer. His best guess is that one of the neighbors wanted to upgrade and just waited until he started construction to avoid having to pay for the transformer themselves.

Just wanted to update- I have turned the wall charger down to 30A for now since we don’t drive a huge amount (3500 miles since September between two of us) and have scheduled a sub panel upgrade to 200A. Anything higher would have required a much bigger budget and digging. Just wanted to thank all who opined on this thread. It helped my decision making much easier!

Just wanted to update- I have turned the wall charger down to 30A for now since we don’t drive a huge amount (3500 miles since September between two of us) and have scheduled a sub panel upgrade to 200A. Anything higher would have required a much bigger budget and digging. Just wanted to thank all who opined on this thread. It helped my decision making much easier!
Good move!