Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Power Sharing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope that is from the brand new Tesla Universal Wall Connector manual.

https://digitalassets.tesla.com/tes...-Wall-Connector-Installation-Manual-NA-EN.pdf Page 33
Well, that is new. For the universal, they are allowing multiple wall connectors on a single branch circuit again. I wonder if they've similarly updated the manuals for the regular or J1772 wall connectors. Considering that all of the Gen3 wall connectors can be used together for power sharing, it seems like you should be able to use those instructions for a mix of old and new.

I wonder if they expect the universal ones to be used more in commercial spaces and wanted to allow more flexibility for those installs.

Well, that is new. For the universal, they are allowing multiple wall connectors on a single branch circuit again. I wonder if they've similarly updated the manuals for the regular or J1772 wall connectors. Considering that all of the Gen3 wall connectors can be used together for power sharing, it seems like you should be able to use those instructions for a mix of old and new.

I wonder if they expect the universal ones to be used more in commercial spaces and wanted to allow more flexibility for those installs.
Could be. Or they just forgot to add that diagram in the other Gen3 manuals. Overall if their power sharing works it should be able to balance the amps across multiple TWCs, just like it can balance power for the whole panel. I watched a YT video of a guy with two teslas that were charging at same time and it balanced power usage across both. It would even raise draw for one car and lower on other depending on what the cars were requesting.

I dont think I will need two TWCs at my house yet as I am putting my TWC between two garage bays that can reach two cars, well 3 really but not planning on 3 evs any time soon. One EV has a charge port on passenger rear and if I get the M3+ it will charge on driver rear. The TWC will be mounted on a wall between the two.

That would appear to be a Gen2 manual page. The Gen3 manual no longer shows (or allows) multiple wall connectors on a single circuit breaker. They expect each WC to have it's own breaker.
I too am setting up a powershare system in my garage. a 60amp circuit to a panel in garage with 2x 60 amp breakers branching to each charger. Does the Gen 3 require the communication cable (18 guage shielded) or does it hook up via it's wifi?