Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink and older Craftsman Garage Door Opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andream

Mar 17, 2017
ohio
I have an older Craftsman Garage door opener with two remotes and a keypad. They all work fine. Once I program Homelink, it will work but the rest will not. Craftsman tells me that I can use Homelink or the rest but not all of them. I have reprogrammed the remotes and keypad so that the rest of my family can get in the house;) Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anyway to bypass this?

Thanks! I've only had the car a week, and I'm still trying to understand it all:)

I have an older Craftsman Garage door opener with two remotes and a keypad. They all work fine. Once I program Homelink, it will work but the rest will not. Craftsman tells me that I can use Homelink or the rest but not all of them. I have reprogrammed the remotes and keypad so that the rest of my family can get in the house;) Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anyway to bypass this?

Thanks! I've only had the car a week, and I'm still trying to understand it all:)

Do you have a picture of the remotes? That's really odd, unless they meant to say there was a maximum # of remotes that can be programmed.

Another option is to pick up a conversion kit like this: Sears Craftsman Conversion Kit. There's one on ebay for cheaper.

It hard wires into your existing garage door - just a like a push button, but contains it's own learning functionality. When you push your remote/homelink, it will connect to this unit; which sends a signal to your garage opener. This way you can program one set of remotes to this unit and another set to the garage opener itself.

That's just a work around though, I still find it odd that you can either program your remotes or your homelink. The homelink should just act as another remote.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardD
Thanks for your help! That might be my best bet! I'm attached photos of my remote. They said that universal remotes run on a different codes(that wasn't her term, but it's close) and that it will work with a universal remote or the craftsman remotes. I've attached photos. I appreciate your help!

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 453
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 321
Thanks for your help! That might be my best bet! I'm attached photos of my remote. They said that universal remotes run on a different codes(that wasn't her term, but it's close) and that it will work with a universal remote or the craftsman remotes. I've attached photos. I appreciate your help!

You have the one remote that basically works with all of the openers! :)

But at least we know that you have a Craftsman branded LiftMaster opener. The add on I linked will only work with non-MyQ openers that use a "dumb" two wire initiator. If you have a "smart" one, you'll need a compatibility bridge. The good news is that you won't be limited to just Craftsman branded and buying a LiftMaster branded item can be easier to find and cheaper.

Use this page (LiftMaster Remote Compatibility) to figure out which frequency you use and then you can buy the corresponding compatibility or conversion kit.