Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink auto close does not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 2021 M3P about a week ago and almost immediately pulled the trigger on the HomeLink option. A Tesla service tech was out here this morning for the 30 minute install and while everything looked great at first, I made a huge mistake... not making him go with me on a driving test to make sure it all worked. Mental note/PSA: always test it fully with the service tech before they leave (if you can).

I've read countless topics and nothing seems to make the auto-close option work. I've got a modern Craftsman/myQ single garage door opener that works flawlessly with HomeKit/Siri and the myQ app from anywhere in the world.

Works: Auto open when I get to my driveway
Works: Auto fold/unfold mirrors
Does not work: Auto close when I leave

So if I'm coming home, it's incredibly awesome!

Things I've tried:

- Resetting the screen
- Resetting the location in front of the garage door
- Toggling the auto-close option off/on
- Changing the distance (which I think is only for auto open)
- Removing the light bulbs in the GDO

What kills me is that every time I leave, the mirrors unfold like clockwork right when I get to the driveway of my neighbor's house. So I know the GPS trigger is working as expected. But the garage door... it just won't close.

My Tesla has version 2021.11.104 (nothing newer available to me yet)

Any ideas? Otherwise I'm going to schedule a service call.

Attachments

• IMG_3859.jpeg
    IMG_3859.jpeg
    615 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_3860.jpeg
    IMG_3860.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_3864.jpeg
    IMG_3864.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3866.jpeg
    IMG_3866.jpeg
    736.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3867.jpeg
    IMG_3867.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_3870.jpeg
    IMG_3870.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 369
It looks like you tried almost everything I would recommend in this instance (including the bulbs). Have you verified that you can manually close the garage door (by manually I mean using the homelink button on the screen in the car) from your driveway?

Have you changed the trigger distance to be closer than you might have it set now (mine is set to like 40 feet or something, I want it to start closing when I am in my driveway). Sounds like you have done this, because you said "resetting the location in front of the garage door".

The homelink doesnt know "garage door state" and simply sends a signal, just like your regular garage door opener remote would. I doubt that a service appointment would be able to help you in this case, and they will likely tell you to "wait for a firmware update and see if its resolved", which wont help you much because none of us have any idea how long you will be on that factory firmware version (could be weeks, no way to trigger anything newer).

When I leave I the Homelink popup appears with an distance indicator and the option to skip. I've had two departures where that didn't happen and so the auto close doesn't happen.

Are you getting that display at least?

(Also do you back into your garage? - the transmitter is at the front of the car making it hard for the signal to get to the receiver in the garage, I had to extend a coiled wire antenna to get it to work, but the autoclose signal was being sent in my case.)

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Sounds like you've troubleshooted the major things. The only thing I can comment on about my install experience is that the tech advised I would received a Homelink specific firmware update and to install it whenever I had time. I remember it showed up almost immediately but I wasn't able to install it right away. The auto-close didn't work at all till I installed that update the next day. It looks like you're still on factory firmware. You didn't get any sort of download after install?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
When I leave I the Homelink popup appears with an distance indicator and the option to skip. I've had two departures where that didn't happen and so the auto close doesn't happen.

(Also do you back into your garage? - the transmitter is at the front of the car making it hard for the signal to get to the receiver in the garage, I had to extend a coiled wire antenna to get it to work, but the autoclose signal was being sent in my case.)
No, I don't get the skip prompt -- only when coming back home.

I do not back into my garage (but that makes sense!)

Sounds like you've troubleshooted that major things. The only thing I can comment on about my install experience is that the tech advised I would received a Homelink specific firmware update and to install it whenever I had time. I remember it showed up almost immediately but I wasn't able to install it right away. The auto-close didn't work at all till I installed that update the next day. It looks like you're still on factory firmware. You didn't get any sort of download after install?
Where did you get a firmware update through/from? I haven't seen anything.

That prompt appears for me as well (the skip prompt)

No, I don't get the skip prompt -- only when coming back home.

I do not back into my garage (but that makes sense!)

It sounds to me like you need to be migrated to a different software version to activate homelink properly. Try putting in a service request in the app, stating that you just had homelink installed and auto close is not working, and are still on firmware version (version number).

There isnt normally anything you can do to prompt tesla to send you a "non factory" firmware sooner, but paying for homelink and it not working might be one of those things.

It sounds to me like you need to be migrated to a different software version to activate homelink properly. Try putting in a service request in the app, stating that you just had homelink installed and auto close is not working, and are still on firmware version (version number).

There isnt normally anything you can do to prompt tesla to send you a "non factory" firmware sooner, but paying for homelink and it not working might be one of those things.

The service tech that installed it this morning just called me in response to my Tesla in-app message. He said that no software/firmware update is needed with the current install... it should just be working. He asked a few more questions and admitted that while it can be flakey, it should be working. He's going to stop by in a few hours when he's done with his shift to take a look. I'll let you know what happens!

It uses some primitive logic to determine whether you're coming or going and perhaps you're not parking it for long enough to register as a new trip?

It shouldn't have anything to do with the wireless signal or even the module itself - if you're not getting the popup/ding then it's not acknowledging your departure.

It uses some primitive logic to determine whether you're coming or going and perhaps you're not parking it for long enough to register as a new trip?

It shouldn't have anything to do with the wireless signal or even the module itself - if you're not getting the popup/ding then it's not acknowledging your departure.
The Tesla service tech just left.

And, of course, as soon as he got here and we tested it out--everything worked fine.

So, in the end--I did nothing but park it in the garage and leave it alone for a few hours.

Gotta love technology.

I think @Gauss Guzzler is right--it had to sit for a little bit. The tech didn't say specifically why but I have to believe that's the case.

I'm just happy it works and I wasn't too far out of the way for him to come by again today. Great customer service!

Just ran a quick errand to drop off my daughter and it was just so amazing to see it work correctly IRL... it's yet another reason why I love this car so damn much.

No more yelling at my phone to have Siri close/open the garage door and telling the car to unfold/fold the mirrors. It just happens automagically.

An upgrade that is WELL worth it. I highly recommend.

If it’s any consolation it happened again for me yesterday, the car didn’t think I was leaving so didn’t offer to close the door. But the home link icon was green so it knew the car was within the geofence. I don‘t think it’s time based as I’ve quickly gone back out and it’s been fine with auto close.

Seems quite random unfortunately.

If it’s any consolation it happened again for me yesterday, the car didn’t think I was leaving so didn’t offer to close the door. But the home link icon was green so it knew the car was within the geofence. I don‘t think it’s time based as I’ve quickly gone back out and it’s been fine with auto close.

Seems quite random unfortunately.
Bummer. I can see how it can be glitchy... trying to communicate consistently with a 3rd party product, wirelessly, with a moving object, with radio interferences, and of course it's got to be in a good mood! 😂

Reactions: robussc
Make sure the "location" is out in the driveway, not inside the garage. Then do something to make it detect a new drive cycle like exiting the car for a while.

The popup should appear immediately upon putting the car in gear, cleverly obscuring the view of any large construction equipment that might be in your path.

Screenshot 2021-10-09 103713.png

Reactions: robussc