Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink Auto Close?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone got Auto Close to work? Auto open works fine.

After you pull into the garage, do you put it in reverse and back up a little? Perhaps to look in the rear-view camera to get the right spacing from the garage door? If you do that, then the next time you drive the car, the Auto-close will NOT work.

My assumption is that you initiated the auto-close sequence when you put the car in reverse but you did not drive the 20 feet (or whatever) required to actually close the garage door. Since you've already initiated then aborted the auto-close sequence, it doesn't try again the next morning (or whenever you try to drive your car again).

Of course, if this doesn't apply to you, then I have no idea why it's not working. It's been working for me for (almost) 3 years.

It usually works fine for me, but not 100%. This, from krettig, solves the riddle:

My assumption is that you initiated the auto-close sequence when you put the car in reverse but you did not drive the 20 feet (or whatever) required to actually close the garage door. Since you've already initiated then aborted the auto-close sequence, it doesn't try again the next morning (or whenever you try to drive your car again).

It worked this morning when my wife left for errands, but her phone did not wake the car; she was pissed off. Had to take my key fob.

make sure she has the Tesla app Always On (iPhone lingo).

Also, if the car is in a deep sleep, you/she can usually 'wake' it by just re-opening the app on your phone. (beats having to dig out the key fob or Card.)

I've been using Tailwind for since November now and I've been thinking wow what a waste of $75 or whatever it was because it only works about 70% of the time. But reading this I guess I'm glad I didn't spend the $300 for Homelink. I was hoping Elon would've let more slip about the supposed wifi-enabled garage door function by now.

My Tesla Homelink works like 95% of the time. I suspect my GDO is the problem in that 5% of the time, or some combination of signal strength and being on the edge of the range. Worth the $400 to me, but I would have preferred it to come with the car or at least be installed prior to delivery.

Auto close (when leaving) works very close to 0% of the time for me.

Even manually using it there's about a 15 inch window pulling out of the garage where if I hit the button on the screen it'll trigger the door to close and if go past that before hitting it the garage won't register it.... in which case I need to turn around in my driveway, point the front of the car (where the transmitter actually is) at the garage, and then hit the button on the screen.... then it'll close.

Auto open (since I approach with front of car facing garage) works 99.9% of the time just fine.

Been that way since I got the car in 2018.

Once asked a mobile tech who was at my place doing something else he shrugged and said year the signal can be weak if the car is facing the other way and nothing he can do about it.

Do you have LED lights near the garage door opener? Unless it’s specifically made for LEDs, they can sometimes interfere with the signal. My Homelink worked 100% of the time with a fluorescent bulb installed, but now is about 95% after I installed an LED bulb. The missing 5% only occurs when the LED bulb is already on (when closing).

Do you have LED lights near the garage door opener? Unless it’s specifically made for LEDs, they can sometimes interfere with the signal. My Homelink worked 100% of the time with a fluorescent bulb installed, but now is about 95% after I installed an LED bulb. The missing 5% only occurs when the LED bulb is already on (when closing).
Yes LED and CFL bulbs can interfere with the signal. One solution is to extend the antenna on the opener unit. I simply spliced a several foot length of speaker wire onto it and routed it up to the ceiling. Works much better, especially when the LED bulbs are illuminated.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
We've had 12 different Teslas over the past 4.5 years and Homelink auto-close has worked 100% of the time for us. We have LED bulbs and have never had issues. We have 3 LiftMaster 8500 garage door openers.

We have a long driveway and have it programmed to send the auto-open signal while we are still on the street (80 to 100 feet away, depending on the garage), perpendicular to the house and it still works over 99% of the time. There have been a few times when a garage door doesn't open when approaching the house but normally that's when there's a work van or some extra vehicle parked in the driveway.

OP here. It works 100% of the time now. It was installed on a rainy day and the car was backed into the garage. I did a reset with the car outside and facing the garage and all is well now.
Just got Homelink installed today, and I’m having the same issue (auto open works, auto close does not.) When you say you “did a reset,” do you mean you deleted the homelink profile and re-paired it with your garage opener?

Just got Homelink installed today, and I’m having the same issue (auto open works, auto close does not.) When you say you “did a reset,” do you mean you deleted the homelink profile and re-paired it with your garage opener?

I just reset the distance per pg146 in the manual.

Resetting the Location of the
HomeLink Device
If you experience situations in which you sometimes
drive up to your HomeLink device and it doesn't open,
or the HomeLink icon on the touchscreen's status bar
does not display the dropdown when you approach the
device, you may need to reset the device's location. To
do so, park as close as possible to the HomeLink device
(garage door, gate, etc.) and display the HomeLink
settings page by touching the HomeLink icon at the top
of the touchscreen. Touch the name of the device you
want to reset, then Reset Location