Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink - Compatibility with Genie Garage Door openers pre-1995

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally got my Model 3 and I'm able to program Homelink for my the garage gate (12 dip switches) at my apartment but not the garage doors for my parent's house. As this is the family home, everything is old and I imagine that it's around 1992 or earlier so it definitely is too old to work with Homelink. It picks up the signal and says it programmed it but when I top the green link, the animation goes through its motions but the garage door doesn't open or close.

I looked at a lot of other threads which talked about the proper positioning, changing out the batteries, using a previous car's Homelink to program it, etc. After trying all those, I tried buying a newer remote than the Genie 912 remote to work with the Genie PRO82 garage door opener (way old school). This is before Intellicode 1 or 2 or even 9 or 12 tri dip switches. This remote is actually a 9 bi dip switch. I went ahead and purchased a new version of the remote that supposed to work with it, Genie GM3T-BX, to see if it would help. I had difficulty finding out where the dip switches were since it's not on the actual garage door motor box like newer models. These older models had a separate box that was the transmitter that's hardwired to motor box. This thread helped explain that to me and afterwards, I was like duh:

How to program Genie Pro 88 Screw Drive door opener - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

After programming the dip switches on the new remote, same thing as before. The Model 3 accepts the code but when you hit the green link, it doesn't open/close the garage door. The new remote works just fine though. I guess I'm going to just use the new remote since the transmitter is too old for Tesla. If anyone has tried upgrading the transmitter, I'd love hear if it worked out. This is the transmitter that seems like it would upgrade your garage door opener to Intellicode 1 (which is the just right version because Intellicode 2 is too new for Tesla):

https://www.amazon.com/Genie-Universal-Dual-Frequency-Conversion/dp/B000RYV05S

I wish there was a single thread that would have covered this for Genie garage's older than 1995 before I started to know what my options were before trying different things but I guess that's why I'm posting it. Has anyone gone as far as upgrading their transmitter and did it work with your Tesla Model 3? Maybe after I start paying down my Tesla and have some extra cash, I'll bother with upgrading my parent's garage door opener transmitter.

So I finally got my Model 3 and I'm able to program Homelink for my the garage gate (12 dip switches) at my apartment but not the garage doors for my parent's house. As this is the family home, everything is old and I imagine that it's around 1992 or earlier so it definitely is too old to work with Homelink. It picks up the signal and says it programmed it but when I top the green link, the animation goes through its motions but the garage door doesn't open or close.

I looked at a lot of other threads which talked about the proper positioning, changing out the batteries, using a previous car's Homelink to program it, etc. After trying all those, I tried buying a newer remote than the Genie 912 remote to work with the Genie PRO82 garage door opener (way old school). This is before Intellicode 1 or 2 or even 9 or 12 tri dip switches. This remote is actually a 9 bi dip switch. I went ahead and purchased a new version of the remote that supposed to work with it, Genie GM3T-BX, to see if it would help. I had difficulty finding out where the dip switches were since it's not on the actual garage door motor box like newer models. These older models had a separate box that was the transmitter that's hardwired to motor box. This thread helped explain that to me and afterwards, I was like duh:

How to program Genie Pro 88 Screw Drive door opener - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

After programming the dip switches on the new remote, same thing as before. The Model 3 accepts the code but when you hit the green link, it doesn't open/close the garage door. The new remote works just fine though. I guess I'm going to just use the new remote since the transmitter is too old for Tesla. If anyone has tried upgrading the transmitter, I'd love hear if it worked out. This is the transmitter that seems like it would upgrade your garage door opener to Intellicode 1 (which is the just right version because Intellicode 2 is too new for Tesla):

https://www.amazon.com/Genie-Universal-Dual-Frequency-Conversion/dp/B000RYV05S

I wish there was a single thread that would have covered this for Genie garage's older than 1995 before I started to know what my options were before trying different things but I guess that's why I'm posting it. Has anyone gone as far as upgrading their transmitter and did it work with your Tesla Model 3? Maybe after I start paying down my Tesla and have some extra cash, I'll bother with upgrading my parent's garage door opener transmitter.
I didn't think that the dip switch openers were supported, only the learning ones. Could be wrong.

A number of years ago I had a Genie opener (with iintellicode) that had its receiver fail; but the opener worked fine. I purchased a stand-alone Genie receiver that had its own power source and connected to the opener the same terminal that the Manila push button goes.

You could try this with your parents opener and pair their remotes, your new remote, and the M3 with the replacement receiver

Good luck.

Just a quick note to confirm that after a few fits and starts, I managed to program my Tesla 3 to open an old school 12 DIP switch Genie brand garage door opener (not sure what the model number is, but it's red and has the words "Genie 1/2 hp Screw Drive" printed on the side).

I originally tried programming it just outside the garage door, but for some reason that didn't work: neither long presses nor the "2 seconds on, 2 seconds off" technique worked. I was about to try a new battery (this is a 3rd party transmitter from a brand called Stinger) when I thought I'd try it a little further away from the garage. So I drove it a few hundred yards away into a nearby church parking lot, put the Model 3 in HomeLink programming mode, and it learned the code in <5 seconds.

It's quite possible driving a little distance away was an unrelated coincidence, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just wanted to share my experience in case it helps anyone in the same situation.