Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink from Tesla App not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the automatic garage opener installed, and it was so worth it. The only issue now is I can’t get the app to open the garage. When I tap Homelink, I get an error saying there are no devices nearby, even though it’s in the garage.

this is only an issue in my iPhone app. Anyway to fix this?

The Homelink icon will appear in the upper right hand corner of your phone screen after you select Summon.

I have the icon for Homelink, the error happens after I tap it. I'm not saying it doesn't show up.

I tap "HOMELINK"

Then I get a confirmation dialog.

Then I get "There are no HomeLink-enabled garage doors near your vehicle," even though it's inside the garage. Homelink works just fine from inside the car.
IMG_F61DBE175C87-1.jpeg

I fixed this by going into the car, going to the CUSTOMIZE SUMMON button, and toggling off and back on the auto homelink toggle. I guess it wasn't picking up the setting correctly. After that, it now works great!

Next up, testing to see if it'll summon out of the garage without hitting the sides. The garage opening is just 8' wide, so there's not much wiggle roome.

• Informative
Reactions: JCLee
I fixed this by going into the car, going to the CUSTOMIZE SUMMON button, and toggling off and back on the auto homelink toggle. I guess it wasn't picking up the setting correctly. After that, it now works great!

Next up, testing to see if it'll summon out of the garage without hitting the sides. The garage opening is just 8' wide, so there's not much wiggle roome.
You're brave. Just make sure that both you and the car know what position the garage door is in.

You have no idea, I'm pretty freaked out. I'm going to line the edges of the garage opening with towels and yoga mats, and I'll have my fiance sit inside ready to slam the brakes (will summon work with someone in the car?).
Make sure the "require continuous press" is enabled in the car's settings. Then, if things are going wonky, just take your finger off the app button.

Yup! Good tip. I'll still take some other precautions!

Actually, maybe I should just try summon when it's outside of the garage first, and then we can try from inside...
That's a really good decision that you won't regret ;). With the HomeLink thing, you might also try to logout of the Tesla app on your phone and log back in when you make a change like that. Sometimes helps to get the configuration on your phone updated.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Has anybody tried the Tailwind garage door opener automation system with a Tesla? Uses bluetooth and GPS to automatically open and close your door, with lots of flexibility on distance/proximity. Works with most garage door openers and provides all the other benefits of a "smart garage door opener". Tailwind iQ3 Smart Automatic Garage Door Controller
Yes, have it. Works perfectly, and you can also check the door open/closed status on the phone app.

You're brave. Just make sure that both you and the car know what position the garage door is in.
I echo that. Actually stopped using auto open. I parked on the street after a carwash to apply tire dressing, backed in and couldn't figure out why the car stopped for no reason. The garage door caught the edge of the trunk. Thankfully #1 no house damage, and the new door seal minimized the impact to just a light scuff at the trunk. No more for me. I will still buy the Homelink upgrade though.

I echo that. Actually stopped using auto open. I parked on the street after a carwash to apply tire dressing, backed in and couldn't figure out why the car stopped for no reason. The garage door caught the edge of the trunk. Thankfully #1 no house damage, and the new door seal minimized the impact to just a light scuff at the trunk. No more for me. I will still buy the Homelink upgrade though.
I ordered the Tesla home link. Installation is scheduled for July 10th, at my residence. I wish this had been an option when ordering the car. It freaked me out , that it was not a standard item on the car. I kept telling the wife.... “ I’ll find the home link... I really thought it was embedded in one of the menues.

Thanks! I had the same problem and solved it by following your instruction!

Reactions: noshadow
I ordered the Tesla home link. Installation is scheduled for July 10th, at my residence. I wish this had been an option when ordering the car. It freaked me out , that it was not a standard item on the car. I kept telling the wife.... “ I’ll find the home link... I really thought it was embedded in one of the menues.

Takes about 30 minutes to install. It's quicker than over the Model 3 where you had to remove the front bumper. On the Model Y, it goes into a bracket under the frunk well cover on the driver's side.

For some reason, it took several reboots of the car and about an hour for the Homelink icon to show up.

IMG_627993FE96D3-1.jpeg
Question: I don't have FSD - is Homelink still available in the Tesla app?

Tesla Service installed Homelink was installed, and I configured the garage door opener today - it works!

However, in the Tesla app, I am not seeing a Homelink icon under the controls menu. Also, I have logged out and logged back in, but it still doesn't appear. Does it take awhile to show up in the app?

Thanks!

View attachment 563407 Question: I don't have FSD - is Homelink still available in the Tesla app?

Tesla Service installed Homelink was installed, and I configured the garage door opener today - it works!

However, in the Tesla app, I am not seeing a Homelink icon under the controls menu. Also, I have logged out and logged back in, but it still doesn't appear. Does it take awhile to show up in the app?

Thanks!
Update your app. I have found the Tesla app never automatically updates itself (at least on Android), so periodically I go to the PlayStore and re-install it. Uninstall/reinstall will, of course, require you to set up any BT keys. (BT audio/phone are not affected.)

Reactions: gregarian