Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Installed at/before Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because there's no option to purchase HomeLink at the point of purchase, to simplify the buying process for Tesla. What if you bought the car with this and that option, and took advantage of Tesla's 1000 mile/7-day return policy? Then Tesla has to allocate effort to list the car differently etc etc.

What effort? I assume that if they take a car back after the 7 day period they have to list it as CPO and not new, so what does that add one line item?

As for it not being an option for simplicity.... I've ordered 2 custom BMWs using their website. Having to check a couple of boxes in the wizard is not a big deal. Almost every other car maker that offers an online configurator has options like this. I'm not sure it would ruin the Tesla buying experience to add a couple like HomeLink.

What effort? I assume that if they take a car back after the 7 day period they have to list it as CPO and not new, so what does that add one line item?

As for it not being an option for simplicity.... I've ordered 2 custom BMWs using their website. Having to check a couple of boxes in the wizard is not a big deal. Almost every other car maker that offers an online configurator has options like this. I'm not sure it would ruin the Tesla buying experience to add a couple like HomeLink.

Tesla is not BMW. Tesla is not like any other car "dealer." I hear you, and maybe in years to come this sort of thing will be possible, but right now it does make sense from Tesla's standpoint not to confuse the market. In actuality, for me - not in the market - seeing the simplicity of the options when helping someone else buy one is refreshing.

I can't begin to tell you the number of times I've helped people configure BMWs etc, and it's like... ok so it has the performance wheels - which means you had to add the Driver Assist package, but that doesn't come with the special headlights so you need to pick that package which dumps the Driver Assist package and puts on the Sport package, but that comes with 20" wheels instead. It's AWFUL. I get the same feeling ordering non-Tesla vehicles as I do looking at their interiors with 400 buttons lined all over the cabin. ANXIETY.

Now, if HomeLink just came standard again - no issue. But I totally understand from a Tesla+Simplicity standpoint that they don't want to install it prior to you taking delivery.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
Tesla is not BMW. Tesla is not like any other car "dealer." I hear you, and maybe in years to come this sort of thing will be possible, but right now it does make sense from Tesla's standpoint not to confuse the market. In actuality, for me - not in the market - seeing the simplicity of the options when helping someone else buy one is refreshing.

I can't begin to tell you the number of times I've helped people configure BMWs etc, and it's like... ok so it has the performance wheels - which means you had to add the Driver Assist package, but that doesn't come with the special headlights so you need to pick that package which dumps the Driver Assist package and puts on the Sport package, but that comes with 20" wheels instead. It's AWFUL. I get the same feeling ordering non-Tesla vehicles as I do looking at their interiors with 400 buttons lined all over the cabin. ANXIETY.

Now, if HomeLink just came standard again - no issue. But I totally understand from a Tesla+Simplicity standpoint that they don't want to install it prior to you taking delivery.

I agree that BMW goes a bit too far the other way when it comes to the packages. It's confusing when you get that little popup saying it's going to remove X or add Y because you selected a package. I'm thinking more along the lines of the very last step where they show the floor mats, runner lights, etc... that you just "check" if you want them.

The weirdest thing about this specific change is that it's the ONLY item for sale on the store that requires a service center install. Everything else they sell this way can be owner installed. So it's just weird to have this sold this way.

I agree that BMW goes a bit too far the other way when it comes to the packages. It's confusing when you get that little popup saying it's going to remove X or add Y because you selected a package. I'm thinking more along the lines of the very last step where they show the floor mats, runner lights, etc... that you just "check" if you want them.

The weirdest thing about this specific change is that it's the ONLY item for sale on the store that requires a service center install. Everything else they sell this way can be owner installed. So it's just weird to have this sold this way.

You do not need a service center install. At least one person here had a Mobile Tech come out and do it.

Mobile techs only come out if you're too far from a SC don't they?

But in any case what I meant was that it's the ONLY product on the store that's not DIY and requires a professional install.

No, they come even if you live close by.

Sure, but it's not a hard install. I recognize some people freak out by the idea of the bumper being removed, but it's such a simple process.

Any Model 3 owners that got their vehicles after Homelink was removed able to get it installed at/just before taking delivery of their vehicle?

I tried hard for this to happen. Nada. Three weeks after delivery the stooges at the SC ripped my bumper off to do the “retrofit” and chipped the paint on the drivers side fender with their bumper removal tools. Denied doing it too. Never again.

Last edited:
They think it's hard enough to include install in the price and offer no option to DIY.

Well, yes - the average person would have no clue how to do it, so that doesn't surprise me.

I tried hard for this to happen. Nada. Three weeks after installation the stooges at the SC ripped my bumper off to do the “retrofit” and chips the paint on the drivers side fender with their bumper removal tools. Denied doing it to. Never again.

Ugh, that blows...

I picked up my Model 3 performance June 20, didn’t realize homelink was no longer included (as it was in my Model 3 LR). Ordered the homelink June 28. Immediately emailed them to ask if I could have it shipped to me directly because my local mobile service guy says he can install it. July 24 finally received an answer saying they have no record of the order. I forwarded them a screenshot of the order and the order number. Have heard nothing since. I was definitely charged 325 dollars. It is so frustrating dealing with any service related issues with Tesla. Why is it so hard for them to respond in any timely manner, or
to even contact them directly?? At what point is this outright fraud?