Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink installed at factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to get Homelink installed in the car before I pick it up for delivery? The app doesn’t seem to let me order it until I actually have the car which adds an unnecessary delay. Is there some trick to just pay the extra $350 and have it preinstalled?

That’s too bad. I miss the days when they preinstalled Homelink on all their cars.

Company that owns homelink charges a license for each car it's installed in- didn't make sense for Tesla to pay that on 100% of cars made by default rather than just offering a paid option to those who wanted to pay for it.

Newer GD openers with MyQ also have the option for their Tesla to use that (though the MyQ companys subscription fee ends up even more expensive than paying for homelink long term)

Company that owns homelink charges a license for each car it's installed in- didn't make sense for Tesla to pay that on 100% of cars made by default rather than just offering a paid option to those who wanted to pay for it.

Newer GD openers with MyQ also have the option for their Tesla to use that (though the MyQ companys subscription fee ends up even more expensive than paying for homelink long term)
That’s fine but then give us the option to get it installed as an option with the car at the factory or at the service center before I pick it up. Ridiculous that I have to wait to get the car to order the damn thing and then wait however long it takes to get an appointment for them to install it.

That’s fine but then give us the option to get it installed as an option with the car at the factory or at the service center before I pick it up. Ridiculous that I have to wait to get the car to order the damn thing and then wait however long it takes to get an appointment for them to install it.

Factory isn't an option because it slows down the production line to do one-off options (things like paint color they just do batches of)--- I agree it doesn't make sense not to offer it before pickup at service centers though- that one unlike other possibilities seems like it'd also save tesla time and money.