Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink is acting weird

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have used the homelink module to open our garage door automatically when coming back home, and closing it when we are leaving. It has worked wonderfully for 4 years. But now, we have a weird problem: I can open and close the door when inside the garage, the door opens automatically when I get close to it when coming back home, but it is not closing the door when I leave: It says the signal is sent, but it is just not closing, even when activating it manually.

But, I have just found out that if I go back in the alley, i.e, the front of the car is toward the garage door, then it works.... it looks as if the signal is now only unidirectional, i.e, if the front of the car is facing away from the garage door, it just won't close.

Anybody else has that problem ? If so, did you find a solution ? I was told that by creating a new profile, it might correct it for a few days.... not ideal

Let me know
Yves

Did you recently install new lightbulbs in the garage or the opener?

If in the opener, when that light comes on, it may interfere with the signal (some new bulbs do) which may explain the difficulty closing since the light turns on when you open it before departing or when crossing the beam if you waited long enough for it to shut off. If in or near the garage but not the opener, make sure they’re off.

There are bulbs which are specifically rated for garage openers but they’re a little more expensive. If you test it by unscrewing the bulb and the issue resolves, you’ll have to decide whether it’s worth a more expensive bulb to not press the button manually as you leave.

Of course, if that’s not it…

Mine also seems to have gotten worse than usual over the last month or so. Normally it'll fail to activate the next time I drive if I've done anything out of the ordinary on the previous drive, like park in the driveway or press the skip button, but lately it's just been failing for no known reason. I'll come home at night and everything works fine, then one out of ten mornings I'll be backing out of the garage and see that it's only showing the manual "activate" button instead of the "auto in 15 ft..." indicator. The "activate" button works, but it won't attempt or display anything about auto closing, no matter how far I drive.

And around the same time, it also developed a new and unrelated problem where it tries to work and dings normally when I come home, but nothing actually happens and I have to manually press the "activate" button. These events don't seem to correspond to the above events and nothing has changed in any hardware anywhere, so it seems like maybe a software bug.

Ditto, same thing has been happening to me.

When I leave slooowly from the garage (facing away from garage) it will 80% close the door.
When I arrive (and I've tried multiple ranges from 100ft to 30ft) and then back in it works 20% of the time. It works 90% of the time when I pull in forwards.
Manual remote works 100% of the time.

I've also removed the garage bulb (it was about 6 months ago that I switched from Incandescent to LED then back to incandescent) and unplugged the Wyze garage door opener.
What gives?

Ditto, same thing has been happening to me.

When I leave slooowly from the garage (facing away from garage) it will 80% close the door.
When I arrive (and I've tried multiple ranges from 100ft to 30ft) and then back in it works 20% of the time. It works 90% of the time when I pull in forwards.
Manual remote works 100% of the time.

I've also removed the garage bulb (it was about 6 months ago that I switched from Incandescent to LED then back to incandescent) and unplugged the Wyze garage door opener.
What gives?

• Funny
Reactions: JohnnyMa
I had something similar. Went to the menu and removed the door then went through the procedure to add a door to homeland. The instructions are easy and clear in the car as to each step. You will need to gain access to the program button on the opener (on may Liftmaster it is inside where the light is housed). You will need to have the original portable clicker with god batteries to do the setup.

Mine has been the same (not working when leaving) for about the last 90 days. I recently activated the MyQ trial as I already have the receiver installed - works but requires a subscription. I will probably go back to Homlink when it expires. Super annoying after spending the $$ last year.

I am also having problems after the last software update on my Tesla S. I deleted my memorized garage door. Now I cannot reprogram. I also cannot clear the HomeLink memory.

HomeLink memory.jpg

Any ideas?

What brand opener? I know that Chamberlains have issues with LED bulbs. Try taking out the LED bulbs and try again.
I had this issue with LED light bulbs too.

I have 20yr old LiftMaster g-door openers

Kind of a weird thing though. The garage door had worked fine since "day one" for 3 to 4 years now.
And my other cars Homelink systems work with the same opener with LED light bulbs on their respective g-doors.
Then one day a few weeks back, it won't shut teh g-door anymore in my Mdl S.
I cycled the Auto-Close checkbox, as suggested here on this thread, but that didn't work.
Then I thought about it more...it only does not work when closing the door.
This is when the LED light are on in the garage door opener from it just being opened.
Ex:
1. When leaving and backing out of the garage, it will not shut the g-door, as it just opened and the lights are on the opener.
2. The same for pulling in - the lights were off when opening the door, but once in the garage, the g-door lights are on, and it won't close the g-door.

Sure enough, switched the LEDs back to incandescent, and now the door will close in both directions.