Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink on MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mods - can you move this? Sorry I posted this in the wrong spot.

You’ll need to go to Model 3 accessories on shop.tesla.com. Same price as Model 3...$300.

6DFB0064-54C2-499D-965C-0C47FCC904E6.png

If you would like the mods to move it to the model Y forum, you can "report" your own post. Select the "report" link at the bottom left side of your post and ask them to move it to the model Y forum.

EDIT: (while I still can) -- Looks like post was moved by mods for you ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: btownalset
I'm sure Tesla can see the statistics on how many people use the Homelink feature. They must've decided the usage rate was low enough that they were better off leaving ot out to save the cost. It does seem odd though especially considering that all of the early builds include the "Premium Upgrade Package".

Confused about Homelink. Is it just a garage door opener, or is there more to it than that?
As far as I know, it is just an integrated garage door opener. Like most things Tesla, it goes beyond what everyone else does (like Saghost mentions). I just had it installed on my MY yesterday, a Tesla technician came to my house and installed it. So between the advanced capabilities, AND the onsite installation, it explains the $300 cost. And just so you know what the 'beyond' part is, it literally opens your garage when you are within a certain distance of your garage, configurable distance. And it closes the garage as you leave. It is surprising how quickly you get used to this, making it hard to live with a typical garage door opener. Crazy thing is, just the week and a half I had to use a normal garage door opener, it scratched up the head liner in my new car, I was so sad and annoyed how cheaply that little metal clip is, very sharp.

Reactions: KingPaul
ok, thanks.
seems pretty bogus to pay $300 for something so universally available for so many decades.
and it makes sense that if your order pages included the homelink system when you put your $2,500 down that tesla would have to install it in your car without charging you again for it.
California has some draconian laws regarding bait and switch sales. If HL was there as part of the original order, and now they give you a choice to either pay more or they give you your deposit back....some lawyer is going to love getting 40% of the cost to install a few thousand Homelinks Or reimburse those who made that decision, plus a statutory bumper.

Got my HomeLink in the mail today, box does say not to open it, has to be opened by Tesla. I used gloves and cleaned the box with disinfectant wipes. Have to be safe. Now waiting for the Model Y to get it installed.

Fred

Reactions: Ormond
So interestingly, i was looking at this today and as of right now the Homelink accessory just says its for Model 3. I'm confused as to why they would have rolled out that it was for Y only to switch the page back, unless they were having issues with it with the Y. Thinking about waiting though also tempted to order it, what say you friends?

So interestingly, i was looking at this today and as of right now the Homelink accessory just says its for Model 3. I'm confused as to why they would have rolled out that it was for Y only to switch the page back, unless they were having issues with it with the Y. Thinking about waiting though also tempted to order it, what say you friends?

As I posted in the other thread, pretty sure this is what derailed my install the other day. The bracket is already pre-installed in the Y and the part (it is the same # as the 3's, the tech doubled down on that) comes with the "old" bracket. Dude didn't want to use the YouTube double sided tape technique and get called out on it later. I have another appointment next week and we'll see.

SS

As I posted in the other thread, pretty sure this is what derailed my install the other day. The bracket is already pre-installed in the Y and the part (it is the same # as the 3's, the tech doubled down on that) comes with the "old" bracket. Dude didn't want to use the YouTube double sided tape technique and get called out on it later. I have another appointment next week and we'll see.

SS

And now this, this morning:

Good morning S, this is the Tesla Mobile Service team. After further research it looks as we don't currently offer a Homelink retrofit for the Model Y. If you did purchase the Model 3 version off the online shop you can return it via, emailing [email protected] and provide the following information:
Customer name and email address associated with the order
Order number
Item number
Item description
Quantity to be returned
Return reason:

Anyone else? I'll delve in and advise as possible...

SS