TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hong Kong Tesla Special Event - 25th January 2016 6:30pm HKT

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by markwj, Jan 24, 2016.

1. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

#1 markwj, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Tesla Hong Kong are holding a special event tonight, starting at 6:30pm HKT (10:30am UTC) and running for 2 hours or so. Elon is expected. This thread can be used for pictures/comments as they happen.

I will try to periscope what I can (update: I couldn't). You can find that at @markwebbjohnson.

A rough video of the event is now available here (videography courtesy of my wife, Jasmine):

And the Hong Kong customer video:

2. cynix

cynix Member

How did it go?

3. markwj

IMHO, the event itself was really well run (even if the reservation/confirmation system sucked). I was having too much fun to periscope anything, but my wife did get a video of the Elon part. Video is being uploaded now, and I'll post here when ready.

Elon was there, and I'll give a short summary below of what he said.

• He looked really tired. Jet lag's tough, and I suspect his schedule is crammed. Talula was there, along with his two youngest.
    • The number of roadster owners present was pretty impressive. I counted 11 I knew (and there are only about 40 roadsters in HK).
    • Elon is meeting with Government on 26th Jan, to push for auto-steer features to be approved (many cheers to this).
    • A bunch of numbers, just like an Apple keynote (see the video for details).
    • 15 stores, 7 major cities, in greater china.
    • Opening in Macau later this year.
    • Hong Kong: A beacon city for EVs. A pioneer for the issues of large scale EV adoption, and a good example for the rest of the world.
    • A video on Hong Kong owners was shown. Really well done. Hopefully this will get released soon. Seems that Edwin and I should be employed as voice over actors ;-)
    • Model X coming this year, as well as a new service centre and expansion to superchargers.
    • Q/A: Superchargers cannot keep up with pace of sales. Elon's reply is emphasis on home/work charging, upgrading the AC public charging stations to higher power (seemed to hint they should use Tesla EVSE/technology for this), and legislative support to help home/work charging deployments.
    • Q/A: Model X. RHD production will be middle of this year, with deliveries this summer.
    • Q/A: A discussion on auto-pilot 'success' stories and how Tesla could share those stories and accumulated statistics.
    • Q/A: Regarding third party App ecosystem, Elon said, "As we have sort of thought about it more, the logic thing to do from an App standpoint it to maybe allow Apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the centre display, as opposed to trying to create a new App ecosystem. So that is probably going to be our focus in the future - to enable you to project Apps from your phone to the centre screen." Wow. That is a pretty clear statement of change of direction and support for car play and Android auto.

As I said, having George and Jerome come to Hong Kong was great, but having Elon here is something special. We're incredibly grateful for his support for Hong Kong. In particular, if those RHD Model X really arrive this summer, or even this year, that will be a clear indication of how important our little region is to Tesla.

4. cynix

cynix Member

Thanks for the update. Sounds like an awesome event. I wish Elon would come to Australia some day.

Good to know that RHD X production will start more quickly than RHD S did.

And your region is definitely not "little" to Tesla! You guys have 4x the number of Model Ss in an area that's 7000x smaller than Australia!

5. Phil K

Phil K Member

A few photos from yesterday's event

IMG_3422.JPG

IMG_3425.JPG

elon (1 of 1).jpg

• Like x 1
  6. markwj

7. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

#7 lx3h, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Tesla Special Event in Hong Kong with Elon Musk

8. samleemc

samleemc Member

Thanks! Thats Awesome!

9. Adm

Adm Active Member

I read between the lines that not only will Tesla help with charging hardware, but I got the impression there will be work for Tesla Energy as well. Anybody else feel the same way?

10. bigbadboy

bigbadboy Member

Thank you all for sharing all these wonderful pictures and nice videos. :tongue: