Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible experience with my flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got done dealing with a flat I got while on a road trip in Norcal.

1. Tesla informed me that mobile service was on the way, great!
  2. Tesla informed me that they did not have the tire in stock, asked me to call local service center (for some stupid reason Roadside Assistance has no way of getting in touch with service centers wtf)
  3. Obviously cant get a hold of anyone in the service center and was directed to the app where the earliest appointment was 3 weeks from now (I was planning on heading back to LA the next day)
  4. Tesla advised that they could give me a loaner tire, and I would use that to get to LA while also carrying my damaged tire. I would then have to go to a service center to get the tire repaired and return the loaner (wtf???)
  5. I called America's Tire and asked if they work on Teslas (they do), informed them of my situation and they did not have the tire in stock either (but would be able to get one in a couple days) but they probably would be able to patch it
  6. Had Tesla tow me there instead, where they are currently patching it for free and will be ready for my return to LA tomorrow morning. Would have been done today if we went with this option sooner
TIL Tesla doesnt even send mobile repair out to you if they dont have the tire in stock. They would have been able to repair my tire were it not for that dumb policy. I still have no idea why they make it impossible to talk to anyone at a service center.

TL/DR: If you have a flat, consider saving yourself a giant headache and getting towed to a tire shop rather than going with Tesla

Tesla Service does not repair tires. In some areas Tesla can arrange to loan you a wheel and tire for a few days until you can have your damaged tire repaired or replaced.

Tesla Roadside Assistance can be reached by phone. Roadside Assistance will contact a contracted vehicle towing service for your area. The tow service may have a loaner wheel and tire but can't be expected to have every size wheel and tire combination for the full lineup of Tesla vehicles.

You have to balance the cost of carrying a spare wheel and tire with the inconvenience of your travel plans being interrupted until a suitable replacement tire can be found.

At a minimum when taking a trip away from your home location bring a 12V tire inflation air pump and a tire plug kit. Consider purchasing the Modern Spare kit for your Tesla Vehicle.

Tesla Service does not repair tires. In some areas Tesla can arrange to loan you a wheel and tire for a few days until you can have your damaged tire repaired or replaced.

Tesla Roadside Assistance can be reached by phone. Roadside Assistance will contact a contracted vehicle towing service for your area. The tow service may have a loaner wheel and tire but can't be expected to have every size wheel and tire combination for the full lineup of Tesla vehicles.

You have to balance the cost of carrying a spare wheel and tire with the inconvenience of your travel plans being interrupted until a suitable replacement tire can be found.

At a minimum when taking a trip away from your home location bring a 12V tire inflation air pump and a tire plug kit. Consider purchasing the Modern Spare kit for your Tesla Vehicle.
I have driven non-teslas my entire life and have gotten by great with AAA on many, many road trips. Why would anything change with a Tesla and an additional roadside service?

I really wonder why Tesla didn't want to have a location for a spare tire?

I understand that to save weight, to improve efficiency, and cost,​
by not providing a spare and a jack, can be an understandable choice.​

But don't Tesla want to sell cars all over the world?

You cannot have Tesla road assistance all over the world from Alaska to Australia?
And even just getting a flat tire when visiting any American National Park becomes a nightmare story.
If someone want to carry 'safely' a spare tire, there should be a location available.

I have a Model 3, and there is a straight beam between the two rear wheels.​
If this beam have been made a little bit curved, then it would have be possible​
to put a spare inside the trunk between this beam and the rear panel of the car.​

There are Tons of threads dealing with flat tires issues:

Note: I hope the Cybertruck will carry a spare, like the new Rivian does.

Rivian Spare Location .jpg

Last edited:
Yes, same idea. My "dead" X was suddenly back to life and it lasted until mobile Tesla service could come out and swap it.

Its just nice to have responsive options when help is needed. Tesla does try, but having Tesla and AAA as options just seems like a no brainer for the price.
Glad you didn't have as bad an experience that a lot of people talk about. Is the 12v easily accessible and recognizable to the point that any AAA tech can jump it?

I typically would order a spare for cars. With my old Volt I just used a plug kit that thing would get flats every couple months. By the time I was ready for new tires I would have 2-6 holes plugged in each tire I didn't even bother going to a service center.

Currently I'm carrying some needle nose this plug kit and a nice small compressor in the car. easy enough to pull a nail out and plug it and carry on.

I would have loved to see an aftermarket frunk conversion to hold a spare. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

1649773471918.png

I typically would order a spare for cars. With my old Volt I just used a plug kit that thing would get flats every couple months. By the time I was ready for new tires I would have 2-6 holes plugged in each tire I didn't even bother going to a service center.

Currently I'm carrying some needle nose this plug kit and a nice small compressor in the car. easy enough to pull a nail out and plug it and carry on.

I would have loved to see an aftermarket frunk conversion to hold a spare. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

View attachment 792745
Getting a flat every few months? Where the heck do you drive???

Glad you didn't have as bad an experience that a lot of people talk about. Is the 12v easily accessible and recognizable to the point that any AAA tech can jump it?
The 12V is not as accessible as with the earlier Model Y. To access, jump start the 12V (now 15.5V lithium) starting battery you need to remove the shroud under the hood by the windshield/firewall (as with the earlier Model Y) and now you have to also loosen the screws that hold the HEPA filter housing, remove the HEPA filter box that is part of the Bioweapon Defense Mode. Hopefully the new 15.5V lithium starting battery module will prove to be more reliable and last longer longer than the older 12V lead-acid starting battery.

I have never once had an issue speaking with someone at my local service center. You may ultimately still need to schedule and request things through the app, but someone from the service center has always been available to answer questions, check inventory, etc. Have you guys not been able to call them directly?

Getting a flat every few months? Where the heck do you drive???
It was the goodyear tires that came on the Volt they must be paper thin. My alley is gravel and a rock even penetrated those tires once. It was much better after I switch to my normal continental tires. Or I pissed someone off and they kept putting nails in my path :)