Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible experience with my flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recommendations on where to get the modern Spare Kit for Tesla’s? I see that in some states Teslas come with a flat tire kit by law since they do not have a spare tire. Thanks in advance!
I received the Tesla Tire Repair kit with my 2020 Long Range Model Y because in Maryland new vehicles must come with a spare tire and tire changing tools or else a compatible tire repair kit. I have never used the kit. Due to supply chain issues the kit is not currently available. I have never had need to use it. Due to the foam liner (sound deadening technology) inside the factory Continental Procontact RX tires when attempting to seal a leak the sealant may not be properly disbursed within the tire to seal the puncture.

Modern Spare: 2020-2022 Tesla Model Y Spare Tire Kit Options

Also available here: Modern Spare Tesla Model Y Spare Tire Kit

May also be available from Amazon sellers.

Be sure you are purchasing, receive the correct size Modern Spare for the Tesla Model Y. There are several different size spare tires that have been sold as being for the Model Y. The wrong size Modern Spare (too small) will cause issues with the Tesla Model Y's traction control system.

I typically would order a spare for cars. With my old Volt I just used a plug kit that thing would get flats every couple months. By the time I was ready for new tires I would have 2-6 holes plugged in each tire I didn't even bother going to a service center.

Currently I'm carrying some needle nose this plug kit and a nice small compressor in the car. easy enough to pull a nail out and plug it and carry on.

I would have loved to see an aftermarket frunk conversion to hold a spare. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

View attachment 792745
Exactly what I carry in my car. Some idiot on this forum called me a fool for wanting the ability to do it myself in an emergency.. instead of "just waiting on the tow truck". Used it just a couple months of ago to plug a tire in my Y that picked up TWO screws at the same time lol. Didn't even know that was possible lol

Daekwan: Don't know who the "idiot" was, but it's probable that the "idiot" isn't capable of plugging a deflated tire with the wheel still on the car. Even OFF the car, it requires a level of strength more than the average person is capable of.

I'm 67, plugged many tires in my lifetime, but I fully understand that a flat, on the car, requires more strength than the average person is capable of.

Daekwan: Don't know who the "idiot" was, but it's probable that the "idiot" isn't capable of plugging a deflated tire with the wheel still on the car. Even OFF the car, it requires a level of strength more than the average person is capable of.

I'm 67, plugged many tires in my lifetime, but I fully understand that a flat, on the car, requires more strength than the average person is capable of.
Doesn't seem to bad for me I have my wife roll the car forward slowly until I find the puncture. Then ream out the hole with the tool and insert the plug. I guess you may be right though. I've had to go over relatives houses when their 20 something sons couldn't break a lug nut lose.

• Funny
Reactions: RNHurt and Dennisis
Yeah, I've plugged tires on the car.. and off the car. While off the car is certainly easier, it doesn't seem too bad on the car. Especially with proper tools (some plug kits use cheap plastic parts). Now I will say I don't carry a jack, so on the road, my only option is doing it on the car. But with the front wheels, it's even easier as you can turn the wheel completely to one side to completely expose the tire & nail. On the rear.. as OliverM3 pointed out you have to roll the car forward to find the nail.

The bigger thing here is that is for emergency use. Meaning you are out of options or time/safety is of the essence. There are many places where I simply would not want to be stuck waiting on anybody, for any amount of time. As a motorcycle rider for 30+ years you learn sooner or later.. how to get up and running as quickly as possible with many tips & tricks that are DIY.

Reactions: DrGriz and RNHurt
I just get towed home where I have a lift and 4 extra wheels. I highly recommend keeping a spare at home.
That is a good thought. I would need a floor jack (got rid of mine a long time ago) and then a single induction wheel with a tire. Maybe when I get new tires I’ll ask to keep one of the old ones for this. Also AAA IN CA as a plus member gets you 100 miles of towing.

I typically would order a spare for cars. With my old Volt I just used a plug kit that thing would get flats every couple months. By the time I was ready for new tires I would have 2-6 holes plugged in each tire I didn't even bother going to a service center.

Currently I'm carrying some needle nose this plug kit and a nice small compressor in the car. easy enough to pull a nail out and plug it and carry on.

I would have loved to see an aftermarket frunk conversion to hold a spare. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

View attachment 792745
I have carried the kit you suggest in our S, 3 and now Y and have used it to get us home 4 times in 5 years! 3 of the 4 times the tire plug lasted the life of the tire. One time I had to redo it as it was still leaking a couple PSI a day (not enough rubber cement on the plug) but at least that was in the luxury of our driveway.

At the beginning of each drive, I voice command,"Open service settings" to check tire pressure. Then "Close service settings".
But you need to drive a little bit to read some pressure values.

I would be great if Tesla was saving the tire pressure values when parked, so you could also check the pressure with you phone App.
As I find distractive to have to use the car display when driving just to check the tire pressure.

Note: Some Chinese EVs also display the tire temperature and could send an alert. I think that's a great safety feature.

Reactions: OliverM3
I'm guilty of joining the OCD TPMS club. I check my tire pressures WAY more often than I ever did. Seriously, Prior to TPMS, we ALL relied on visual inspection, and I suspect, VERY infrequent checking with a legit tire gauge.

Jeez...we've all become so paranoid about this. But...I...just...can't...help...it...

Last edited:
If you check your tires daily (takes less than 1-2 minutes) for any nails, you really do not need a spare tire and jacks, etc. which is a lot of dead weight.
Any nail in the tires cause slow leak or in most cases, no leak at all until you pull it out. even the side wall nail does not cause total loss of air (unless it ruptures the side).
If you go on a long road trip, it can be helpful to carry a spare, jack, and tools, but not for daily drive.

Reactions: DrGriz and WhiteWi
If you check your tires daily (takes less than 1-2 minutes) for any nails, you really do not need a spare tire and jacks, etc. which is a lot of dead weight.
Any nail in the tires cause slow leak or in most cases, no leak at all until you pull it out. even the side wall nail does not cause total loss of air (unless it ruptures the side).
If you go on a long road trip, it can be helpful to carry a spare, jack, and tools, but not for daily drive.
The Modern Spare tire kit, other scissor jack and tire changing tools are what you would want for a road trip when you will be more than 50 or 100 miles from your home. For tire punctures, slow leaks closer to home just use a portable 12V pump and maybe a tire plug kit. If the vehicle cannot be driven then you can contact Tesla or AAA roadside assistance.

Reactions: 101dals
But you need to drive a little bit to read some pressure values.

I would be great if Tesla was saving the tire pressure values when parked, so you could also check the pressure with you phone App.
As I find distractive to have to use the car display when driving just to check the tire pressure.

Note: Some Chinese EVs also display the tire temperature and could send an alert. I think that's a great safety feature.
My 2018 M3 only needed to drive a block to display pressures. My 2022 MY displays them before i leave my 50 ft. driveway.

Doesn't seem to bad for me I have my wife roll the car forward slowly until I find the puncture. Then ream out the hole with the tool and insert the plug. I guess you may be right though. I've had to go over relatives houses when their 20 something sons couldn't break a lug nut lose.
It may take a bit of maneuvering but once I find the hole I try to back up on whatever is available (curb/board/large flat rock, etc...) to get another couple inches of height to work with. And I agree with Pianewman, plugging a tire can be physically challenging for many people I'm sure. Glad it's not for me because buying and lugging around a spare of any sort isn't for me.

Reactions: Daekwan
It may take a bit of maneuvering but once I find the hole I try to back up on whatever is available (curb/board/large flat rock, etc...) to get another couple inches of height to work with. And I agree with Pianewman, plugging a tire can be physically challenging for many people I'm sure. Glad it's not for me because buying and lugging around a spare of any sort isn't for me.

I've got this tire plugger in my trunk along with a compressor and some other accessories. I think it might take a little less physical effort.

Stop & Go 1075 Standard Model Tire Plugger

• Informative
Reactions: fly4fun
I've got this tire plugger in my trunk along with a compressor and some other accessories. I think it might take a little less physical effort.

Stop & Go 1075 Standard Model Tire Plugger

I actually had to use this thing today. It works, but you need to follow the instructions and it helps to be familiar with how to use it before you need it.

I picked up a nail in the rear right tire. Luckily for me, I was able to plug it in our driveway. I used the compressor I keep in the trunk to reinflate the tire. It was a great practice session.

You need to carry some extra tools to extract the nail or screw, even if it is deep in the tread groove, where mine was. A simple pair of pliers is not sufficient.