Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotels with EV chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really want one of the hotel search engines to allow us to filter hotels by EV charger availability. I really think that will make many hotels jump on board and make traveling easier.
That would be nice - booking by EV charging as an amenity. Alternatively, you can use the Plugshare. The only interface that has the "Hotels Only" filter is the Tesla browser, or you can go to tesla.plugshare.com on another browser. However, I just looked at it and they aren't really Hotels only. It does get rid of a lot of the extras though.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
I agree - and I'm a bit worried about booking a room at a place with only one charger. Plugshare definitely shows a lot more spots than Tesla's map. I'm looking forward to my first trip with the Tesla to take my Mom to Duke for some treatment, can't wait to find a good spot to stay and charge so I don't have to worry about making it back to the Rocky Mount supercharger.

Another problem, I chose a hotel based on having EV chargers. Upon checking in I asked where they were located and was told they were in the back of the hotel. I drove around the building, and they were right by a door that could be used for entry with your key card. So yeah, even though the parking lot had plenty of open spaces nearby, both charging spots were ICEd.

When I went back to the front desk to report it, they just shrugged and said they don't manage those spaces. To be fair to the ICE drivers, there was zero signage on those spots.

Another time I chose a hotel with charging, and they had put the chargers some distance from the building so they were open, AND i found them before checking in.

Moral of the story, call ahead and ask questions about how likely it is you'll actually be able to use them.

Reactions: gene and OBX John
I really want one of the hotel search engines to allow us to filter hotels by EV charger availability. I really think that will make many hotels jump on board and make traveling easier.
Good idea, I would use such a filter if available.
On a recent road trip, I used PlugShare to first identify hotels with chargers in specific areas I was interested in. Not all hotels seem to even list EV charging as an amenity on their own website, but PlugShare seems to have a good listing, being based on EV-owner contributed data.

We ended up staying in one such hotel with two HPWCs which I first found on PlugShare before checking hotel booking sites and TripAdvisor reviews. After our stay I added some details and better photos to the hotel's PlugShare entry for future travelers' reference. I also made a point to thank the manager for providing the charger, and said it was one of the reasons I chose their hotel.

Reactions: gene and OBX John
Over the years I have recommended motels and hotels to consider installing a Nema 14-50 or contacting Tesla to learn of their program. Several of these place did do the install and had I not mentioned it, it would have never crossed their minds. So, if you have a place you enjoy staying at, please speak with the owner/management and suggest a destination charger. They are generally pleased you are making a suggestion that will bring patrons. I always explain to them about Plugshare and that I will provide a listing for them.

Don't overlook plugging into a 120V outlet on the outside of the building. If its a 20A, as most commercial outlets are, you'll usually get 5 miles/hr when using the 5-20 UMC adapter which lets you charge at 16A. That's a significant charge overnight.

Yes, I have done this myself, even in the cold of winter. The trick is to plug in as soon as you arrive while the battery pack is still warm and I have found I get the same miles per hour charging that I get in the summer. Was very pleasantly surprised the first time I tried it in the cold and was expecting poor results.

Plugshare in the settings section.
Set it to only show Tesla. It's a fast way to find both Tesla destination chargers and Tesla Superchargers on the PlugShare app.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 70