Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV OK Decal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I read somewhere that technically, we are allowed in any 'Diamond' lane? Mine is inside the rear window BTW, held in place with slightly tacky double sided tape....
aren't some of the diamond-marked lanes bus-only?

and doesn't the BC Motor Vehicle Act define "HOV lanes" and "bus lanes" as distinctly different things?
i.e HOV lanes include buses, but bus-lanes don't include all HOV?

this Ministry of Transporation page about EV's & decals doesn't mention bus-only lanes, only HOV lanes:
How You (and your EV) Can Get Moving in BC | TranBC

it says:
" Can authorized electric vehicles access every HOV lane in the province?
The amendment to the Motor Vehicle Act Regulation provides access to every HOV lane by authorized electric vehicles, unless a sign is posted indicating otherwise. This includes HOV lanes in the Lower Mainland and Kelowna."

Reactions: cmt489
aren't some of the diamond-marked lanes bus-only?

and doesn't the BC Motor Vehicle Act define "HOV lanes" and "bus lanes" as distinctly different things?
i.e HOV lanes include buses, but bus-lanes don't include all HOV?

this Ministry of Transporation page about EV's & decals doesn't mention bus-only lanes, only HOV lanes:
How You (and your EV) Can Get Moving in BC | TranBC

it says:
" Can authorized electric vehicles access every HOV lane in the province?
The amendment to the Motor Vehicle Act Regulation provides access to every HOV lane by authorized electric vehicles, unless a sign is posted indicating otherwise. This includes HOV lanes in the Lower Mainland and Kelowna."

I agree. From what I can tell they are not meaning to give us access to bus only lanes, just HOV lanes.

An officer at the Massey Tunnel HOV check once jumped out on me, but let me through once I waved the "OK" decal at him. Hopefully they will stay lenient this way because it's very ugly to stick it behind rear glass or on the bumper.

Plus most HOV checks were officers looking at the front of the car. Supposedly it will be more time-consuming to walk to the rear of the vehicle to check for the decal.

Phoned the decal issuing department and she confirmed cannot use the lions gate bridge HOV land as that is a bus lane. She said an owner has been fined couple weeks ago from using it. But seriously why motorcycle can use it but not fully electric???

The sticker thing in general is ridiculous. It excludes out of province vehicles, even if they'd otherwise qualify, it adds bureaucratic paperwork for no good reason, and it's a tacky (pun intended) item to attach to a vehicle.

There are many better ways of handling it.
- slightly better would be specific EV plates, solves 1 of the 3 issues above
- better still would be a list of vehicle makes/models that are allowed
- best would be to simply say EVs are allowed and leave it at that.

Of course, My real preference is that HOV lanes be used only by high occupancy vehicles, as allowing EVs does nothing to improve congestion which is the real purpose of these lanes. (And stop calling 2 people "high occupancy" 3 minimum if you want to make a difference!)

The sticker thing in general is ridiculous. It excludes out of province vehicles, even if they'd otherwise qualify, it adds bureaucratic paperwork for no good reason, and it's a tacky (pun intended) item to attach to a vehicle.

If you are out of province you will not be using the HOV lane on a regular basis. It is also more likely that you will have more than one person in the car. As I understand the program, it is meant for the day to day commuting of those who live in the area, not for those who are visiting.

If you are out of province you will not be using the HOV lane on a regular basis. It is also more likely that you will have more than one person in the car. As I understand the program, it is meant for the day to day commuting of those who live in the area, not for those who are visiting.
Why would someone visiting not be entitled to it when someone local is?

Neither one is in any way doing what the HOV lanes were designed for, both bought an EV.

So I originally placed my sticker on the plasticized part of my bumper. That was a mistake as it did not adhere well enough and it was either removed by someone (most likely) or came off on its own (unlikely) at some point. I have placed the new sticker in the bottom middle of my back window, below my spoiler. Hopefully this one stays on...