Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How’s the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it. So you’re an uber-fanboi and while those with negative experiences are all telling the truth, we should only listen to those who have had positive experiences in order to get OP to order a new car and join the cult. Nah.
Ha, count me in as an “uber-fanboi.” I took delivery on 6/21. Found a few of the fit/finish issues that I had read about beforehand — most of which I likely would not have noticed otherwise, and which Tesla fixed right away. Once I got the car on the highway home, any concerns that I had about the purchase melted away. It’s by far the most enjoyable car to drive that I’ve ever owned.

I picked my MY PUP on 06/30 and have only 600 miles but absolutely love it. Driving any other ICE car is like taking a time machine back to a horse and buggy!
Still getting used to some things and need to order a SSD for the sentry but 100% satisfied in my purchase - last 4 cars
Honda Accord Touring 2.0
Porsche Cayenne Turbo 2016
Porsche Cayenne Turbo 2006
Mercedes CLK55 AMG
This thing flies compared to the above!

Very happy with mine. It takes a lot of stress off of my commute. It's a relaxing and fun car to drive.

Simple things like saying "play Nat King Cole" and it does it, precooling the car from my phone app, FSD making smooth lane changes, automatically taking my exit, being able to remotely roll the car forward so I have room to access the harch, having a front trunk to put takeout in so it doesn't impart the smell to the car, open and roomy feel, etc. all add to the low-stress experience.

Received the Model Y almost 2 months, my first Tesla, and there's lots to like about it. One major negative is excessive wind noise at higher speeds, usually above 55mph. At first I thought it was the absence of an ICE making wind noise more visible. After comparing to my wife's Audi SUV I'm convinced that the noise levels are simply higher due to poor insulation and all that glass.

Perhaps others aren't bothered by this, but it's ruining the road trips i had envisioned with the Model Y.

I'm new to EVs and don't own TSLA stock. My delivery in June (vin 9XXX) was smooth. I found minor white paint blemishes later, and a slight misalignment on one interior trim piece, but nothing that compromises the car in any meaningful way. I love the quiet acceleration, no tailpipe pollution, and the surprisingly intuitive user interface. I adapted to it much faster than I expected. Same for the one pedal driving. Most of all, I LOVE THE SPACE INSIDE! I'm 6'5" and I easily have 4-5" of headroom above my noggin. There is also much better head and legroom in the rear than in the 3-- I could ride back there comfortably. The front seats are really comfortable. On the highway, the adaptive cruise control is great.

On the down side, I wish it had a better blind spot warning system. You can use the side and rear cameras, but I don't find that nearly as good as integrated warning lights in the side mirrors. I also find the highway driving a bit different than my old Volvo (it is less of a cruising machine), but the Y is fine and far better for around town driving.

Reactions: Oakland John
Received the Model Y almost 2 months, my first Tesla, and there's lots to like about it. One major negative is excessive wind noise at higher speeds, usually above 55mph. At first I thought it was the absence of an ICE making wind noise more visible. After comparing to my wife's Audi SUV I'm convinced that the noise levels are simply higher due to poor insulation and all that glass.

Perhaps others aren't bothered by this, but it's ruining the road trips i had envisioned with the Model Y.

I find when one properly utilizes the premium sound system, wind noise is a non-factor at any speed. :D

Simple fix for wind noise that I learnt when I had a diesel: wear ear plugs. Yes I know, should not be necessary, but the difference in comfort is amazing. And you will still hear all the important traffic noise!

I'm not discounting your opinion on the loud sounds at high speeds. Especially if you're comparing to an Audi. I read several threads on these forums on this topic, months before I bought my car. I was totally scared of how loud it would be, and bought a bunch of sound reduction accessories. (roof gasket, door/trunk/frunk foam)

Having driven a bunch on desolate highways during the COVID shut down to test this, I found the wind noise to be an acceptable level. I also recently completed our first 300 mile road trip with my family, and we felt it was fine. I had intentionally put the radio on pause for 10 miles, and asked everyone's opinion on the subject. No complaints. Played the music at a low level, and could hear it nicely.

Of course, our other/previous vehicle is a 2014 Honda CR-V; a fairly high stance vehicle which seems to have plenty of wind noise.

Was waiting for the release since announcement, hoping the MYP will be next step from MS P85. Took a test drive recently, and common opinion of 4 people is no-go. All quite subjective, but compared to an old MS, feels like a compromise in pretty much every aspect.
- cheap interior trim;
- awkward door handles;
- noisy;
- couple inches too narrow for comfortable 5 adults seating (talking long trips);
- no single physical button/knob inside, everything's on display;
- visible assembly defects and faulty frunk sensor on demo car.
And again, it's $60K price tag.
Partial touch display controls been neither convenient nor safe even in MS, but M3/MY take that to the new low, by eliminating instrument cluster and moving ALL controls (side mirrors and vent ducts included) into endless menu tree. Feels like a gadget on wheels, not a vehicle.
All around, slightly used MS seems much better bang for the buck. Or maybe will wait for Mach E to compare.

Interesting - my model Y PUP has no wind noise at all and is extremely quiet.....

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass
Interesting - my model Y PUP has no wind noise at all and is extremely quiet.....

My AWD has almost no wind noise either. There must be an alignment difference, maybe with the glass roof.
I guess there are two major points, 1) what it's compared against, and 2) apparently some of the MYs may be worse.
In my case it was rather road noise as the speed stayed below 60mph, and compared to MS P85 on 21" with wider tires.

I guess there are two major points, 1) what it's compared against, and 2) apparently some of the MYs may be worse.
In my case it was rather road noise as the speed stayed below 60mph, and compared to MS P85 on 21" with wider tires.

My tires are the quiet foam lined 19" OEM ones, and they are, by far, the primary source of noise at highway speeds. There is almost no wind noise. The AC fan at speed 3 and up makes more wind noise than the wind does.