Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How bad are the supply chain issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 P90D with around 85k miles threw a bunch of error codes and had to be flatbed hauled to my local service center. Turns out the rear motor unit went out and is going to be replaced under warranty. My car went in on May 23rd and I got a loaner from my awesome service center on June 8th. I've gotten a few updates in the intervening 8 weeks and they say they're waiting on an HV rapid splitter and have yet to receive any word on ship date. Are supply chains so tight that it takes over two months to get repair parts? Are all available parts going to new vehicle fulfilment?

My 2016 P90D with around 85k miles threw a bunch of error codes and had to be flatbed hauled to my local service center. Turns out the rear motor unit went out and is going to be replaced under warranty. My car went in on May 23rd and I got a loaner from my awesome service center on June 8th. I've gotten a few updates in the intervening 8 weeks and they say they're waiting on an HV rapid splitter and have yet to receive any word on ship date. Are supply chains so tight that it takes over two months to get repair parts? Are all available parts going to new vehicle fulfilment?

The problem is, it has been a very long time since a 2016 drive unit has been manufactured. They are probably trying to find one that they can get refurbished. You are very lucky you have a loaner. Generally loaners are only available during the regular 4-year warranty, and not the full 8-year drivetrain warranty period.

The problem is, it has been a very long time since a 2016 drive unit has been manufactured. They are probably trying to find one that they can get refurbished. You are very lucky you have a loaner. Generally loaners are only available during the regular 4-year warranty, and not the full 8-year drivetrain warranty period.
Yeah, I guess it would make sense that the HV wiring harnesses for the newer Model Xs are different than those on the older ones; price of progress. I'm not sure if it's more or less comforting to know that there might not be parts readily available for my car. Cybertruck can't come soon enough. My local service center is always usually short on loaners, so I was super delighted to snag one especially since I can't get 2, 8 year olds and a baby in our third car since it barely has a back seat. I wasn't aware the loaner policy applied differently to the different warranties.

Resolution. I just got my Model X back. The HV splitter harness had to be sourced from Europe. They either were going through a revision of the part and had to find one that would fit my 2016, or wait for the new revision units to be made.

i'm fixing 9/16 90d and i keep finding that a lot of re-designs happen w/ AP2 in Oct 16....
so even for used parts that leaves us with very small market.. sigh...
i'm currently trying to find FDU right rear bracket n not a single listing on eBay :(