Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How big is the battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I suppose I should know this, but when I realised I didn't I went to the manual, and it really doesn't say much

1638551128444.png

While I'm at it, what's the size of the motors?

1638551197652.png

The website also has little to offer in this regard

You dont know it because tesla does not promise any particular battery size. They publish EPA range, they dont promise your car will or will not have a specific size battery. With that being said, the battery in new model Ys is currently 82kW I believe, but not all of that is usable as some is reserved for a buffer.

Tesla does not promise motor displacement size either, and I havent seen that put anywhere. They substitute a couple different motor part numbers in there depending on which model you buy. They promise performance, not a specific size motor.

Motor Trend tested a 2021 Long Range Model Y, published the following: "We've driven the Model Y in two power output levels: a Long Range model with 384 hp and 376 lb-ft, and a Performance variant rated at 456 hp and 497 lb-ft thanks to a more powerful rear electric motor and revised powertrain software.

2021 Tesla Model Y Buyer's Guide: Reviews, Specs, Comparisons

Forbes stated: "Using a 75 kWh battery and dual motors (69kW and 201 kW), the base Long Range option is AWD and has a 326-mile range. The top-of-the-line AWD Performance edition uses 133-kW and 179-kW dual motors and offers a lower range of 303 miles."

2021 Tesla Model Y

Forbes stated: "Using a 75 kWh battery and dual motors (69kW and 201 kW), the base Long Range option is AWD and has a 326-mile range. The top-of-the-line AWD Performance edition uses 133-kW and 179-kW dual motors and offers a lower range of 303 miles."

69kW and 201 kW

133-kW and 179-kW

Inconsistent writings aside, does the performance really have a smaller rear motor than the non-performance?

Interesting. I read somewhere (on TMC) that the MY SR might have the same rear motors as the MYP?
The SRMY weighs ~500 lbs more than the SR+ M3, yet these two Tesla vehicles have the same 0 to 60 spec of 5.3 seconds. The only way that is possible is for the SRMY to have a more powerful motor (rear drive) than the motor (also rear drive) in the SR+ M3.

69kW and 201 kW

133-kW and 179-kW

Inconsistent writings aside, does the performance really have a smaller rear motor than the non-performance?

No way are those forbes numbers correct.

The MYP rear motor has a different part number from the rear motor on the MY LR, no idea if it looks different physically or not. From what I have read the short lived MYSR had the same part number on its rear motor as the MYP.

Keith