Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how big is the maps update for Navigation on Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been leaving my iPad with hotspot active in order to download the new maps on update 44.2 . About a 1.5 gig has been downloaded already but no option for navigation on autopilot yet. Does anyone know how big is this file?

The map update is 5 to 6 GB in size. It needs to be downloaded over wi-fi in a single download session. If the download aborts for some reason, the partial file is deleted and the download is started again from the beginning. No incremental downloads on the map updates. The UI doesn't show you the version of the maps that you have loaded on your car.

The map update is 5 to 6 GB in size. It needs to be downloaded over wi-fi in a single download session. If the download aborts for some reason, the partial file is deleted and the download is started again from the beginning. No incremental downloads on the map updates. The UI doesn't show you the version of the maps that you have loaded on your car.
Once on WiFi, how do I initiate the download? I’ve never received a Maps Update notification.

Any idea if the car has to be charging and on wifi to start downloading? does it try downloading every time it connects to wifi? Tesla is making life difficult for people that don't have a wifi connection in the garage. They can avoid many phone calls by making "safe" updates easier to download

I've got some good info but bad news after my experience getting it to finally updates:
Tried the following unsuccessfully:
-using phone as Hotspot for 30 min (car connected to wifi but after initiating the download 3x it never made any progress even with the bar shown)
-using Panera wifi right outside (same thing as above, was connected to wifi with 3 bars)
-using Starbucks Google wifi (tried 2 locations and 5 parking spots, car could never connect even after soft reset)

What finally worked (after confirming from online tesla chat that it's alright to do this) was going to the tesla service center and sitting there for 2 hours. It took 3 min for the download to start after the car automatically connected to the service centers wifi. I had a hiccup when it was half done where for 18 min it made no progress (usually made progress ever 3 min) so I hard reset. After the reset the progress bar reset but after 10 min it resumed the doe load at 50%.

New map version:
Navigation Data NA- 2019610236
Previous map version:
Navigation Data : NA- 1809061605

Attachments

• IMG_20190516_184230.jpg
    IMG_20190516_184230.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 205