Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I fix these scratches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stupidly trusted the tesla vision line sensor while parking on a slanted parking lot and hit the curb on the bottom of my front bumper. It's not visible unless you crouch under my car to look at it, but I was wondering how I could fix it? I just got the car brand new a week ago. I can't tell if it penetrated the paint, it just felt scratchy when i put my finger over it

1702013241942.png

Actually, don't care, because the front bumper is a plastic piece and will not rust.
If you must repair it, you can go to the car wash to try polishing at first, scratches should become less noticeable.
If the polishing effect is not good enough, it is necessary to pay money for paint.

Upvote 0
I stupidly trusted the tesla vision line sensor while parking on a slanted parking lot and hit the curb on the bottom of my front bumper. It's not visible unless you crouch under my car to look at it, but I was wondering how I could fix it? I just got the car brand new a week ago.

How much does this bother you?
How perfect do you want this to be?
If you can't see it, and you can put this out of your mind, then let it be. The bumper is plastic, so there are not structural/rust concerns around this cosmetic damage.

I can't tell if it penetrated the paint, it just felt scratchy when i put my finger over it.

You can easily check by running your fingers over the scratch. If there are deep 3D grooves - the scratch went through the paint. Mostly likely, it did.
I had a similar situation with another car a decade or so ago. The only "proper" solution was to remove the bumper, sand out the scratches, and repaint the entire bumper from scratch. The estimate was $650, at that time. I doubt it got cheaper since then.

HTH,
a

Upvote 0
requirements:

car wash
meguiar's scratch-x + microfiber towel

steps:

1- wash car of any contaminants that may still be on the bumper.
2- then dry area that's scratched.
3- apply some Meguiar's Scratch X to a towel and slowly work the substance into the scratches.
4- wipe any excess off with towel.

I've used it before, I like it. it's not going to be the cure all solution, but it'll reduce the visible scratches. Good luck

Upvote 0
I stupidly trusted the tesla vision line sensor while parking on a slanted parking lot and hit the curb on the bottom of my front bumper. It's not visible unless you crouch under my car to look at it, but I was wondering how I could fix it? I just got the car brand new a week ago. I can't tell if it penetrated the paint, it just felt scratchy when i put my finger over it
Yeah, I'll also throw in my vote for Meguiar's scratch-x first. It'll reduce the appearance and given it's not visible unless you are down low, that probably is good enough. If you want to do more, you can move on to touch-up paint. It looks like it may have gone through the paint, but given the front bumper is plastic, that doesn't really matter.

As for the Tesla Vision, the ultrasonics (in the older cars) don't detect front curbs either, so you can't really rely on it to detect curbs. For Tesla Vision the front blindspot remains a problem, hopefully they can improve it with updates (the holiday update looks like it will improve overall resolution, but not sure if it will address the front bumper). What they really need is a front bumper camera like they have on the Cybertruck.

Reactions: phattbam
Upvote 0