Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Can I Politely Decline Speaking To Strangers About My Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d venture there’s not too much you can do while still remaining polite other than saying your late for your appointment at the doctors office, if they hesitate include it’s for an STD...
Betting it’s predominantly men approaching you, attractive woman, nice car, not too many in area, easy conversation opening...

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE and MXWing
If you are leaving or entering your car:

“I’m sorry mam/sir, in a hurry and running late”.

If you are sitting in your car:

“Sorry, I gotta get on my phone and send some emails out”.

If I was a single guy I would make conversation with a female Tesla owner.

Think about it from our perspective - you never make the shots you never take.

What I drill into my children is “protect yourself at all times”.

You can’t control what other people do, you can only control your response and situational awareness.

I bought my daughter a glock when she was born. When she is of age she will be a quick draw and expert markswoman. Until that time I will equip her with everything I can appropriate for her age and exposure.

Your situation could have been a lot worse.

I had a man approach me in a dimly lit parking lot in the late hours with no one present and businesses closed. Car is charging, and family is asleep.

I’m glad the man announced as he was approaching that he just wanted to ask questions and wasn’t there to rob or beg for money.

I was happy to have a chat with him and explain how supercharging worked.

He went on his way. I was prepared for any possible situation however as I had my Shield 9MM on me. No chance to retreat in that scenario if harm was intended.

I skip Barstow and sketchy chargers just to remove the risk.

These are the situations that I would be concerned about.

If you are leaving or entering your car:

“I’m sorry mam/sir, in a hurry and running late”.

If you are sitting in your car:

“Sorry, I gotta get on my phone and send some emails out”.

If I was a single guy I would make conversation with a female Tesla owner.

Think about it from our perspective - you never make the shots you never take.

What I drill into my children is “protect yourself at all times”.

You can’t control what other people do, you can only control your response and situational awareness.

I bought my daughter a glock when she was born. When she is of age she will be a quick draw and expert markswoman. Until that time I will equip her with everything I can appropriate for her age and exposure.

Your situation could have been a lot worse.

I had a man approach me in a dimly lit parking lot in the late hours with no one present and businesses closed. Car is charging, and family is asleep.

I’m glad the man announced as he was approaching that he just wanted to ask questions and wasn’t there to rob or beg for money.

I was happy to have a chat with him and explain how supercharging worked.

He went on his way. I was prepared for any possible situation however as I had my Shield 9MM on me. No chance to retreat in that scenario if harm was intended.

I skip Barstow and sketchy chargers just to remove the risk.

These are the situations that I would be concerned about.
Fully agreed till I got to the line about buying your daughter a glock...No judgement. I must admit though that I don’t have children...

Last edited:
Reactions: alexGS
I’m a young female Tesla owner and I am constantly stopped in public to talk about anything Tesla related. At first it was fine, but it has greatly escalated. People have blocked in a parking spot/charging spot with their cars and approaching my window, where I would have no way to exit the situation. I respect that the new technology is exciting, but I don’t feel as if it’s fair to put me in uncomfortable/unsafe situations just to make a couple comments. How can I politely turn down these interactions?
Hopefully more Tesla’s are sold there where you live. It’s very common here in SoCal like who cares.

Fred

My guess is that the OP’s problem is not being a Tesla owner but as she self describes being a “young female”. Not sure how to fix that.

Wait a few decades?
:D

When you see them approaching, pull out your phone like you just got a call, have a pretend conversation and walk away.

And speak loudly into the phone: "What do you mean tests were positive for Ebola and its contagious? I'm sure my cough is not that big of a deal."

• Funny
Reactions: elf9
I’ve got about 800 disagrees to my name here versus 11,000 likes.

500-600 of those disagrees are from non Tesla owners, non firearm owners. In essence people with no practical experience are disagreeing with someone who HAS practical experience in these areas.

My unsolicited advice here is to seek understanding/education vs judgment. :)

If you had a daughter, you would come to realize that she is not biologically equipped to fight off a 300lb man if she only weighs 105. The glock is a force equalizer.

If she is charging her car and she has no means to retreat, a 911 call won’t be anywhere near fast enough.

It’s 1.5-2 second for her to draw with one hand partially free for defensive actions.

I’m not sure how long to unlock with Face ID, manually type in a password, hit the phone icon, type in dial 911, hit call, hope there is a signal and hope she can pull all this off while under extreme duress and under attack.

Sentry mode is only good for identifying your killer after the fact. :)

@kristincarline can try to decline conversation. She can’t prevent being boxed in by strangers. She can however prepare for whatever anyone wants to throw at her.

Even the single version of myself would NOT be blocking people in or knocking on windows, that’s very threatening.

You can’t assume everyone shows the same restraint and obviously they haven’t. :(

Minus the glock part, this reply understood my concern for safety the most. I’m not as concerned about people randomly asking me generic questions, but more so about how the excitement of Tesla gives people more reason to approach me and forget boundaries.

Reactions: alexGS and MXWing
If someone blocks you in tell them they need to move immediately. If they don’t lean on the horn until they leave.

There is no reason for you to be uncomfortable by these people.

Thank you for understanding! That is along the lines of what I’m going to have to do. Charging in public always has tons of parking space, there’s no reason to block me in if you have 20+ empty spots around.

Thank you for understanding! That is along the lines of what I’m going to have to do. Charging in public always has tons of parking space, there’s no reason to block me in if you have 20+ empty spots around.
Forgive my feeble attempt at humor, I did not fully digest what you'd said regarding getting blocked in. As others have so adequately described we no longer live in a 1950's version of what used to be America. Please avail yourself of all measures to insure your safety. Again sorry...

Forgive my feeble attempt at humor, I did not fully digest what you'd said regarding getting blocked in. As others have so adequately described we no longer live in a 1950's version of what used to be America. Please avail yourself of all measures to insure your safety. Again sorry...

I appreciate the second comment. The point of the post was to see if anyone else experienced people crossing very clear boundaries because of the Tesla hype. I wasn’t expecting so many people to zero in on my gender only.

Reactions: KerryOH
I appreciate the second comment. The point of the post was to see if anyone else experienced people crossing very clear boundaries because of the Tesla hype. I wasn’t expecting so many people to zero in on my gender only.
You're on a car forum, who's members are probably 80% male. Men have a completely different perspective to a lot of things and frankly can't relate half the time. At least that's what my wife tells me :rolleyes:

I’m a young female Tesla owner and I am constantly stopped in public to talk about anything Tesla related. At first it was fine, but it has greatly escalated. People have blocked in a parking spot/charging spot with their cars and approaching my window, where I would have no way to exit the situation. I respect that the new technology is exciting, but I don’t feel as if it’s fair to put me in uncomfortable/unsafe situations just to make a couple comments. How can I politely turn down these interactions?

It comes with the territory but honestly I'd say this won't be a thing in maybe a year or two. It is already super common to see the cars on the road, people are just inquiring to you really bc they are processing in their head that they might be able to get one too. It's a good thing overall. I love being approached about the car, but I completely understand why some wouldn't be. My wife never drives the 3 but if she did she'd probably think the same as you.

Reactions: alexGS
Minus the glock part, this reply understood my concern for safety the most. I’m not as concerned about people randomly asking me generic questions, but more so about how the excitement of Tesla gives people more reason to approach me and forget boundaries.

Are you sure it’s just the car? Maybe you stand out? That’s a good thing.

How people invade your space is weird though. There’s no one on earth I want to talk to badly to corner them so invasively.

You can’t even stop it, just hope it gets better in time as Tesla’s become more ubiquitous.

I would just move along hurriedly while making a polite excuse. Unless it’s dangerous I don’t think the best move is making a scene like leaning on a horn.

Your car is disabled when charging, polite diffusion I believe is the best bet.

Reactions: Runebane
Are you sure it’s just the car? Maybe you stand out? That’s a good thing.

How people invade your space is weird though. There’s no one on earth I want to talk to badly to corner them so invasively.

You can’t even stop it, just hope it gets better in time as Tesla’s become more ubiquitous.

I would just move along hurriedly while making a polite excuse. Unless it’s dangerous I don’t think the best move is making a scene like leaning on a horn.

Your car is disabled when charging, polite diffusion I believe is the best bet.
I have to say that this type of behavior is one reason I would be hesitant on buying a Tesla. To me standing out is not a good thing. Standing out can make you a good target. Same reason I do t put stickers on my car. I don’t need someone taking a glance at my car and knowing how many kids I have and their gender( stick people stickers), where my kids go to school and approximate age ( my son/daughter is a honor student etc at fill in the blank elementary), if I have a firearm, (glock sig, ar-15 type stickers) what my political affiliation is and so on. I find people are so willing to put themselves on display they do t even realize that the info could be used against them. These are the kinds of things that I will pass on to my children along with the marksmanship thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.