Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I tell if my used 2019 Model X has homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used 2019 Model X from a Tesla dealer. Is there an easy way to tell? I don't see any icons in my Tesla app.

I think all Model S / X have Homelink capabilities. Have you tried actually configuring the Homelink with an opener? Maybe try this from within the car before you worry about the app.

Bruce.

Oh now I feel pretty stupid. There is the homelink icon right in the status bar.

Next stupid question: the garage door opener that has been suggested to me lists it supports MyQ but doesn't specifically say Homelink. I asked for a homelink compatible opener and he said this has "has the WiFi stuff" which I assume means he doesn't know the difference between Homelink and MyQ. But I don't completely either.

Can a MyQ garage door be controlled by my Tesla's homelink? And if so will I need to pay $10/mo for my Tesla to open my garage?

The opener recommended is the Liftmaster 84505R

Nearly all garage and gate openers are homelink compatible. Homelink works by mimicking your regular garage remote. There is no fee and works without internet.

MyQ is chamberlain/lift master’s own internet based smart garage door control but they charge a monthly fee to integrate with cars and other systems. You can use the MyQ phone app itself for free to open/close and get notifications for when the door is opened or closed if you wish.

HomeLink has been around for years and you would be hard put to find a luxury level vehicle without it. MyQ is an app. for Liftmaster smart garage door openers, just as Aladdin is for Genie brand openers. Homelink really does not know or care about MyQ or Aladdin. The MyQ app can be used to open or close your garage door but that would be clumsy to use. Homelink is a simple one push button in the vehicle. MyQ can be handy for notifying you that your garage door is open or closed by sending push notifications to your phone.

If this is a new build I too would recommend a jackshaft type opener, either Liftmaster, (Chamberlain), or Genie. I have both Liftmaster and Genie jack shaft type openers at my home and I too have a 2019 Model X. All coexist well, but 99% of the time I use Homelink to open and close doors.

If this is a new build I too would recommend a jackshaft type opener, either Liftmaster, (Chamberlain), or Genie. I have both Liftmaster and Genie jack shaft type openers at my home and I too have a 2019 Model X. All coexist well, but 99% of the time I use Homelink to open and close doors.
Thank you for the additional information on the Genie option. I didn't know they had one.
Jackshaft/wall mounts: Genie Wall Mount Garage Door Opener

It looks like their phone app also does not have monthly fees! ("The Aladdin Connect app is free to use, with no additional fees or monthly charges!")
Phone app info: Aladdin Connect®Smartphone Enabled Garage Door Controller

Reactions: Lectric_Agent
You really don't need a smart garage door opener just for Tesla Homelink. My MX can open and close my 25 years old garage door opener. And if you have multiple Tesla with homelink, it really turns your garage opener to a smart one. As you could open/close the garage door with the Tesla app as long as there is at least one Tesla parked near the garage. And you could find out if your current state of garage door is open or close by using the remote sentry cameras on the Tesla parked at home to check if you have premium connectivity. Tesla can make your garage smart LOL.

Reactions: byoono
You really don't need a smart garage door opener just for Tesla Homelink. My MX can open and close my 25 years old garage door opener. And if you have multiple Tesla with homelink, it really turns your garage opener to a smart one. As you could open/close the garage door with the Tesla app as long as there is at least one Tesla parked near the garage. And you could find out if your current state of garage door is open or close by using the remote sentry cameras on the Tesla parked at home to check if you have premium connectivity. Tesla can make your garage smart LOL.
True but most of the decent openers come with smart features anyways