Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Supercharging without account.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I bought a 2018 Tesla Model X from a dealer two weeks before.
I registered the car on my name but didn't add the car on Tesla app yet.
I am able to charge the car on tesla superchargers for free, I already tried it 5-6 times.
How is it possible?
If someone else is getting billed for it, I might have contacted by now.
Any idea how this works?

@Rot rjn the owner of the Tesla account associated with the VIn gets charged. Unless it has free supercharging. When you supercharge, does it show a $ value? If so, someone else is paying. As long as it is on someone else’s account, they can see wherever the car is, can access it and drive it. I would want to get it on my own Tesla account ASAP. If it has free supercharging, that does not transfer to a new owner for a 2018.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Well that exactly is my doubt. I don't know if the car has a free supercharging enabled.
If I get it on my Tesla app, I would definitely lose the free charging option since I am the second owner.
I wanted to know if I will be charged collectively for all these free charging I am doing once I get the car on my tesla app.
I am also concerned that someone else shouldn't be billed for the charging I am doing, since it show the $ amount on screen every time I charge.
On other hand I also don't want to loose the possibility of free supercharging.

Upvote 0
I don't know if the car has a free supercharging enabled
If it shows a $ amount in the car for your last supercharging session, then it is not free supercharging. If it shows $0, then it has free supercharging. Another test is simply to look at any supercharging location on the map in the car. Cars with free supercharging don’t list the $/kWh price.

• Informative
Reactions: towndrunk
Upvote 0
Okay in that case the car don't have a free supercharging since it shows the amount after every charging and also on maps it shows the price /kWh.
Now the question is will I be billed for all these charging when I add the car to my Tesla app later.
If it’s on the dealer’s CC, I’d be fine with it; they took more than enough from you I’m sure.

• Funny
Reactions: Genie
Upvote 0
Hello all,

I bought a 2018 Tesla Model X from a dealer two weeks before.
I registered the car on my name but didn't add the car on Tesla app yet.
I am able to charge the car on tesla superchargers for free, I already tried it 5-6 times.
How is it possible?
If someone else is getting billed for it, I might have contacted by now.
Any idea how this works?
It's possible the prior owner is getting billed, depending on how well the hand-over to the dealer was handled. You should setup a Tesla account (on the web site) and add the car there, then setup the phone app also (after all, you would not want the next owner to expect you to pay for THEIR charging, would you?).

Upvote 0
I am not sure if someone is getting charged for it, otherwise I would have got a heads-up by now.
As I said have already charged around 6-7 times in last 2+ weeks
Funny stuff. You could buy some accessories from Tesla too. FSD even!

Agree, you need to set up your own account before it gets cut off.

Rot rjn, you don’t want to be that guy who for less than the cost of a five gas fill ups, is taken to court for theft.
Yea, I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Upvote 0
I would have no problem paying for all the charging, if someone else is getting billed for it.
But if no one is getting charged then I don't want to give up on it.

You should setup your own account a credit card before you get blocked from using a Supercharger.

Last summer I lost my physical credit card while on a long trip. I immediately cancelled the card and started using a different one, but forgot it was the card on my Tesla. For a couple of days I charged at free hotels, then started using Superchargers on my long trip home. After 3 or 4 Supercharger sessions I suddenly wondered how it was that I was able to charge. I changed the card but somehow did something wrong and the next time I charged it worked but when I unplugged the screen gave me a message that I couldn't charge anymore until my bill was paid. It took about 15 min on a phone call to get it fixed.

Later I figured out that my cancelled card continued to work for online payments to vendors previously paid to prevent things like monthly bills (especially cell phones and internet access) not being paid and you getting locked out from being able to update all your various accounts.
This "feature" might be why you are able to continue using someone else's credit card

Upvote 0