Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I transfer ownership of my Tesla, within the family?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Car was owned by my wife and I, with me as the primary owner, and so I had primary access to the Tesla App.

Car is now owned by my son and I, with my son as the primary owner.
Have already retitled it with the State we live in, and already have the Title back showing my son as the first owner, and me as the second.

But how can I make this all work via the Tesla app?
How to get me off of being the primary owner and my son's Tesla app having primary, and all the power of the app?

Car was owned by my wife and I, with me as the primary owner, and so I had primary access to the Tesla App.

Car is now owned by my son and I, with my son as the primary owner.
Have already retitled it with the State we live in, and already have the Title back showing my son as the first owner, and me as the second.

But how can I make this all work via the Tesla app?
How to get me off of being the primary owner and my son's Tesla app having primary, and all the power of the app?
I think doing a factory reset on the car will fix this problem. There is a recent thread here about that where the car still used the email address of the previous owner. A transfer of ownership is one of the few situations were a factory reset is appropriate.

Upvote 0
I think doing a factory reset on the car will fix this problem. There is a recent thread here about that where the car still used the email address of the previous owner. A transfer of ownership is one of the few situations were a factory reset is appropriate.
I don’t think that applies here, since the car wasn’t sold. Tesla needs to make this change for you, since they wouldn’t know about the transfer unless you notify them.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0